2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Newbie Blazer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 12:43 AM
x550x is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie Blazer Questions

Hello all! I recently had my dealer get me a 1999 LS 4 door 4x4 with 69,000 miles. It is my first blazer although I am no stranger to the S-10 truck. I have the option of not taking it if it doesn't meet my standards (my dealer is an old family friend) no strings attached. It will be delivered on Monday. My question to all of you Blazer experts is what should I look for when inspecting the vehicle? Are there problems that a 70,000 mile Blazer may have? Please be as specific as possible. I guess any knowledge on what to look for when inspecting visually and driving will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Old 11-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Default RE: Newbie Blazer Questions

Not the most active forum in the world, huh?

Old 11-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

People have better things to do on a weekend mostly...be patient...you only posted yesterday

Old 11-06-2005, 02:40 PM
93LT is an unknown quantity at this point

Best advice I can think of is to never buy from a freind of the family. Just look the vehicle over, look for the obvious. Look for panels that don't line up, look for paint differences in adjacent panels from all angles (face and pitch). Pay particular attention to the way the front and rear bumpers line up.

Old 11-06-2005, 02:46 PM
drkmelvin is an unknown quantity at this point

Take an impartial person to look at the vehicle, that way, they can spot things that an exited buyer wont see...Also, check for frame damage, fluid leaks, burnt smelling oil/tranny fluid, uneven tire wear. Check the interior for mold, mildue, moisture, or wierd smells

Old 11-06-2005, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: 93LT

Best advice I can think of is to never buy from a freind of the family. Just look the vehicle over, look for the obvious. Look for panels that don't line up, look for paint differences in adjacent panels from all angles (face and pitch). Pay particular attention to the way the front and rear bumpers line up.
Maybe I should clarify. He is not just a family friend, but also a high volume car dealer who owns and operates four lots. He has been in the buisness for 35 years. My family has bought over 20 cars from him. None have ever had a problem. If they did, he would make it right. So, that's not really an issue.

I understand the general used car inspection guidelines and I always run title histories as well. I really just want to know if there is anything Blazer specific that I sould look for. I figure you Blazer owners would be the ones to ask since you all have one and know what problems you have encountered.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:48 PM

That's fine. I am not impatient. I am just used to more active boards.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

Ball joints will probably be an issue at some point, whether they have already started or not, but they are common. I think you can tell if they have been replaced fairly easily. If they are something that need to be replaced, just get greasable ones and grease 'em every few months. Mine's a '93, so I can't say what to look for on a '99 more than that. I'm sure there will be some more replies from others that know better than me.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Talusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that an expensive fix-ball joints? I think my right one needs replacing.
I also tried to research Blazers and if there were commonalities in problems. I have a '91 and a '95. The only thing I've found is what Moonwater said about the ball joints.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:18 AM
timetoblaze is an unknown quantity at this point

being that its a 4x4 you might want to engage the 4x4 to see if everything is workin properly blazers tend to have some 4by probs...if you dont know how to engage it i would recomend reading the manual its tell you step by step how to do that.

Quick Reply: Newbie Blazer Questions