2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Newbie questions from a newbie Blazer owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Beginning Member
TylerK10 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie questions from a newbie Blazer owner

I recently acquired a pristine 2005 2-door 4x4 Blazer to replace my '84 K10 as my daily driver. More on the Blazer itself later (probably in a build thread I'll make), but I do have some quick questions about my new truck, so let me get right into it:
  • Is there a way to disable the DRL system?
  • Is there a way to turn off the automatic light system?
  • Is there a way to completely turn off the lights at night?
  • My truck has a very annoying feature that automatically alarm locks the truck after one minute, regardless of if the keys are in it or not. I have a feeling the previous owner had this done when she had the remote starter installed aftermarket, but if this is actually from the factory, is there a way to disable it?
  • Is there anything on the market that would allow me to lower the spare a few inches so I can open the glass without opening the tire carrier?
  • Does anyone agree that there is very little foot room on the gas pedal? My foot is constantly rubbing the wall to the right. Are there any fixes for this on the market?
  • There is a little latch/tab on the driver's side under the window in the trunk; what is this for? And on there isn't one on the passenger side, but there is another weird shape in the wall; what is this one for? I can get pictures tomorrow to show what I'm referring to if necessary.
There's plenty of other things I wanted to ask but as usual I don't remember now that I'm actually typing. I'll probably keep coming back with other stupid questions as I go. In the mean time, I appreciate whatever answers I can get.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech* - it's more appropriate for the topics.

My responses are in RED below:
Originally Posted by TylerK10
  • Is there a way to disable the DRL system? Search "DRL+disable" and you should find the details. (keep the + between the two keywords)
  • Is there a way to turn off the automatic light system? Check the Tech Article (DIY) Index link in my signature
  • Is there a way to completely turn off the lights at night? Once you do the DRL & AHL disable, you'll have to turn the lights on manually at night.
  • My truck has a very annoying feature that automatically alarm locks the truck after one minute, regardless of if the keys are in it or not. I have a feeling the previous owner had this done when she had the remote starter installed aftermarket, but if this is actually from the factory, is there a way to disable it? You would have to determine what has been installed. It is not a factory feature.
  • Is there anything on the market that would allow me to lower the spare a few inches so I can open the glass without opening the tire carrier? I remember someone either buying or making a drop bracket that would lower the tire by ~3". It wouldn't be too tough to make one.
  • Does anyone agree that there is very little foot room on the gas pedal? My foot is constantly rubbing the wall to the right. Are there any fixes for this on the market? Never noticed this when I had my '00 Bravada... Probably not going to find anything to change it though.
  • There is a little latch/tab on the driver's side under the window in the trunk; what is this for? And on there isn't one on the passenger side, but there is another weird shape in the wall; what is this one for? I can get pictures tomorrow to show what I'm referring to if necessary. This is for the cargo area cover. A retractable cover would mount on the other side. I had this in the back of my old '00 Bravada.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:31 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

There is a fuse for DRLs that will disable them if you remove it. On mine, there is a fuse under the hood, and a fuse in the panel on the driver side of the dash. I think there may also be a relay specifically for it.

For automatic headlights, there is a small sensor in the passenger side speaker grill on the dash. There's a trick where you can unplug the connector and insert a resistor into the two wires to fool the system into thinking it's always daylight. That will allow you to control the lights as you wish and turn them off completely if you would like. There's a "how-to" thread in the DIY subforum.

I'm not aware of any factory feature that automatically locks the vehicle. I believe my aftermarket remote-start/two-way alarm allows such a thing so if the previous owner had an alarm installed, the locking is most likely caused by it.

There used to be a member on another s-series forum that made a kit to lower the spare tire a few inches because a lot of people have that problem. I don't think he still makes them though so you'd probably have to make one yourself.

I've never had any problems with the gas pedal so I can't help you there

I'm not sure what you're referring to on the driver side. On the passenger side, there's a small catch that's designed to hold the cargo cover in place. Most 4door trucks came with the cover but I think very few 2door's had it. I'm sure the catch was molded into all of the passenger side paneling though. If you could get pics, I'm sure someone could identify it.

Last edited by mdehoogh; 09-22-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: gah, Kyle beat me!