2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No A/C, Staring issue, Starter also maybe a problem...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:26 AM
GMdesigner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No A/C, Staring issue, Starter also maybe a problem...HELP

First problem happened coming back from OhioPyle Memerial day weekend.On the highway, we ran out of gas (had the characteristics of it at least) which was strange becuase I always completely fill my tank, which gets me about 280 miles, and we "ran out" at about 230. Started bucking, lost power, pulled over. Couldn't get it to start..just cranked. I put a can of SEAFOAM in to try to lift the fuel level a bit, no dice. A state trooper came and we were right near their garage, so he went up and filled a large gatorade bottle with gas and came back with it (noticed a bit of gatorade still in the bottle). Poured it in, and once we got the car pushed back on the shoulder so it was level, it eventually started and I putted into the station and filled up. Ran great, got us home, worked for short trips for a day or two, then suddenly, wouldn't start. Just cranked and cranked, but seemed to either be lacking fuel or spark. I could hear the fuel pump running, and I checked for spark, which it had. Then I left town for 10 days, came back, and it started with a bit of effort...which was sorta weird after a week of not starting what soever. Drove it around, ran great, turned it off, restarted, fired right up. repeated fine, then tried a third time, and "click" nothing...no turnover or anything. Put a battery pack on it, got to start. Been driving it for a week, but it is appearing as if the starter is dieing, as it struggles to turn itself over at initial ignition, espeially if the car is warm after driving. Once it does turn over, it runs pretty good. Any ideas as to what could be going on? I origianlly thought fuel pump or clogged filter, but it runs fine now...Now I am thinking starter solenoid or start. Just a weird turn of events. Any suggestions to check these various things before I get stuck somewhere?

THanks
Nick

Old 06-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: No A/C, Staring issue, Starter also maybe a problem...HELP

Make, Model, Year, options, etc... We need some basic information to atleast get you started...

Old 06-22-2007, 10:26 AM

'95 4door 4wd, 4.3L Vortec

Old 06-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This could have a lot to do with your other topic... Sounds like you have an issue with your upstream O2 sensor as I suggested HERE. You may have also gotten a bad tank of gas at some point... I would recommend a bottle of IsoHeat to remove the possibility of water in your tank.

If you are having trouble starting the truck, you mostlikely have drawn the battery down low enough through all of the extended cranking attempts... You can let your truck idle or just drive it around for extended periods of time to get the battery back up to proper charge. If you keep having trouble starting it, you may want to invest in a trickle charger for at home to charge the battery up overnight until you get your other issue fixed.

Where does the A/C come in to this whole thread?

Old 06-22-2007, 11:51 AM

the A/C doesn't blow at all. Actually heat slowly pours in through the ducts, even if A/C is on. I checked the pressure and it is fine as far as coolant is concerned, and when in the "ON" position, it sounds like the clutch engages on the compresser fine, and the condensor and lines get freezing cold...just none of that makes it way into the truck. I don't mind no A/C, but the warm air makes it unbearable. I figure it is either a vacuum line, or maybe the ducts door is actually sticking in one place, blocking the cold, and potentially opening up to the heat. I want to posibly tackle a bunch of these things tomorrow and sunday, so any advise on these topics would be great. Also, I added my truck info to my signature, but i don't see it when I reply to the thread. Suggestions? Thanks for all the help. The truck does run, it just seems like the starter isn't strong enough to turn over the engine, but once it does, it fires right up. The battery is running at 14 volts, and is holding a charge fine it appears. When the engine is hot, it seems to have the most trouble turning over. I will try all the other tips though.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Classic symptom of having disconnected the vacuum line to the HVAC system. That may also be causing some issues with fuel delivery and mileage.

You can't judge the battery condition by the volt meter when running. You need to test its reaction to load. If its drained due to repeated extended start cycles, it will run the starter slower.

On the signature being visable... There is an option above the 'ok' 'preview' and 'cancel' buttons to 'add signature'. There should also be an option in your profile to 'always add signature'...