2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No power/torque. Too slow on hwy. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 04:45 AM
Starting Member
TonyZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy No power/torque. Too slow on hwy. Need help.

Hello

Had no luck with a search. My problem is.... Driving to work last night, I was going up the usual steep hill on the hwy, where I always have maintained 100km/h, floored. But this time the power was gone, I could barely keep it at 60k's. It revs the same, but the acceleration isn't there anymore. I could be doing 60k's on that hill....floor it....the rpm would go up a lot, to around 4,300.....but it would not go any faster. I had to go in the slow lane, with my flashers on...ughhh. I just don't get it. Even off the hwy onto the side streets, there is no power/torque. It still takes off normally from a red light, but....if I step on it hard at even 20mph, the same thing happens....revs but hardly any acceleration. I'm sitting at work now, and it will probably take twice the driving time to get home.......if it doesn't get any worse.
The drive was about 35 mins (from cold). Got to work. Checked my trans. fluid. Hot enough I think, even though it was only +2c out(?). I forgot to feel it though. It showed exactly at the top of the "hot" range (after I shifted through all the gears 3 times). The fluid is not burned. Just old. About 2 years. So it's brown/pink.

Now the only thing that has been happening previously......for maybe a year, is at full throttle, the tach would spaz back and forth, and the truck would shudder/jerk along with that (feels kind of like the 150km/h safety throttle cutoff......but that's not it). That has been happening on just the hwy. And more often when going up a hill.

I checked for codes about a week ago. There were four. P0300 -Random Misfire, P0335 -Crank. Pos. Sensor A circuit, P0137 -O2 circ. low voltage[bank1 sens.2], P0138 -O2 circ. high voltage[bank1 sens.2]. I cleared the codes last week, and checked a few days ago.........the only ones that had come back, were the same P0137 & P0138. But as for right now, after this no power thing happening last night, I don't know, as I don't have my code reader with me. The two rearward O2 sensors are new last year. The frontmost, is old. The wires were new 2 years ago, and my mech. said the rotor was ok. The plugs also new, 2 years ago (stock platinum). Um..........help.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:53 AM
Starting Member

Also. It has had VERY hard cold starting for a few years. I notice it start to happen about +7c. And by +2/+4, I have to cycle the key/fuel pump 3 times to get it to start.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:59 AM
Starting Member
Red Sled is on a distinguished road

How many miles opps KMs LOL When was last tune up??

Old 12-17-2015, 05:07 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TonyZR2
Hello

Had no luck with a search. My problem is.... Driving to work last night, I was going up the usual steep hill on the hwy, where I always have maintained 100km/h, floored. But this time the power was gone, I could barely keep it at 60k's. It revs the same, but the acceleration isn't there anymore. I could be doing 60k's on that hill....floor it....the rpm would go up a lot, to around 4,300.....but it would not go any faster. I had to go in the slow lane, with my flashers on...ughhh. I just don't get it. Even off the hwy onto the side streets, there is no power/torque. It still takes off normally from a red light, but....if I step on it hard at even 20mph, the same thing happens....revs but hardly any acceleration. I'm sitting at work now, and it will probably take twice the driving time to get home.......if it doesn't get any worse.
The drive was about 35 mins (from cold). Got to work. Checked my trans. fluid. Hot enough I think, even though it was only +2c out(?). I forgot to feel it though. It showed exactly at the top of the "hot" range (after I shifted through all the gears 3 times). The fluid is not burned. Just old. About 2 years. So it's brown/pink.

Now the only thing that has been happening previously......for maybe a year, is at full throttle, the tach would spaz back and forth, and the truck would shudder/jerk along with that (feels kind of like the 150km/h safety throttle cutoff......but that's not it). That has been happening on just the hwy. And more often when going up a hill.

I checked for codes about a week ago. There were four. P0300 -Random Misfire, P0335 -Crank. Pos. Sensor A circuit, P0137 -O2 circ. low voltage[bank1 sens.2], P0138 -O2 circ. high voltage[bank1 sens.2]. I cleared the codes last week, and checked a few days ago.........the only ones that had come back, were the same P0137 & P0138. But as for right now, after this no power thing happening last night, I don't know, as I don't have my code reader with me. The two rearward O2 sensors are new last year. The frontmost, is old. The wires were new 2 years ago, and my mech. said the rotor was ok. The plugs also new, 2 years ago (stock platinum). Um..........help.
It sounds like you have a problem with your fuel pump.How may miles do you have on your ride?I`ve heard lots of other people who`s on this forum who have had problems such as yours.The pumps are known to fail without warning.Also, whens the last time you`ve changed the fuel filter?The fuel filter is the main ingredient for a healthy fuel pump operartion.You`ll have to run a fuel pressure test.Turn the key on,don`t start it.You should have around 50 lbs. without starting it.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:13 AM
Starting Member

Mileage is 228,245 kms. Fuel filter was replaced between one and two years ago (tune up). Same with the cat.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Toocute350
It sounds like you have a problem with your fuel pump.How may miles do you have on your ride?I`ve heard lots of other people who`s on this forum who have had problems such as yours.The pumps are known to fail without warning.Also, whens the last time you`ve changed the fuel filter?The fuel filter is the main ingredient for a healthy fuel pump operartion.You`ll have to run a fuel pressure test.Turn the key on,don`t start it.You should have around 50 lbs. without starting it.
Please read Captain Hook's sticky on fuel system testing. 50 psi will not start the engine.
Tony, you mentioned that your cat was a couple years old. That is a common lifespan for generic catalytic converters. A blocked cat would cause the symptoms you describe. There are good threads here for checking if it's blocked.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:04 PM
Starting Member
Red Sled is on a distinguished road

Thats what I was thinking. Cat

Old 12-18-2015, 02:28 AM
Starting Member

Common lifespan?? Since when is it common for people to get a new cat installed every 2 years??

Old 12-18-2015, 08:51 AM
burned is on a distinguished road

Pull the O2 sensor before the cat and see if it feels like it has more power. A clogged cat is a common issue for lack of power.
If your tach is jumping around erratically then the crank sensor may be getting hit by the reluctor ring. The fix for that is to pull the sensor and check for scuff marks. If there are scuff marks present then replace the crank sensor and shim it (max 2 shims). You will need to get a crank relearn done after wards.

There is no mention if you have done a fuel pressure test. If your vehicle is 96 or newer you should have a minimum of 60 psi with the key on, engine off. Pressure should hold above 55 psi for 10 minutes after the pump shuts off.
Worn out ignition parts are another cause of misfires, as well as a worn out distributor gear.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:46 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TonyZR2
Common lifespan?? Since when is it common for people to get a new cat installed every 2 years??
The cheapest cats on the market will clog in a couple years. The best cats on the market will clog in a couple years if you continually "floor" it and drive at "full throttle" when you know your engine has been misfiring for "maybe a year". You thoroughly described your driving and maintenance habits.
My question to you is what does a man from Canada care aboot the president of the united states? Never mind. Keep your double question marks. You should decide whether you want to insult Americans or ask us for help with your chevy. Nuts out!

Quick Reply: No power/torque. Too slow on hwy. Need help.