2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No start when warm, Batt drains?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:42 PM
ccyne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No start when warm, Batt drains?

I have several problems with my 96 v6 4x4.
First the battery constantly drains if it sits for more than a couple days it wont start without charging the battery. I have put two new ones in recently. Alternator is fairly new and if it is driven the battery stays charged. Always @ 14 volts on meter.The dashhas been outtwice for heater core replacement. Are there any specificparts that commonly short or drain the battery.

The other problem is a starting issue. When the car has been run and the engine is warm I will have and intermittent start problem. It will just crank and crank but will not fire. In the past few yearsI've replaced the fuel pump twice, replaced the fuel pressure regulator once and of course I've put in a couple filters.When it does start the fuel pressure shows 58 psi. When it doesn't it's down around 40 psi.Mind you it only does this when the engine is warm. I alsoleft the gauge on while itsat and the pressure does bleed down.After 30 minutes it looses 5 to 10 psi.there are no externalsigns of leakage.The signs are pointing to replacing the pump again butI don't want to miss and end up playing parts roulette. Funds are very tight.

Any one have suggestions? I consider myself to be a pretty good troubleshooter and mechanic but these issues are driving me crazy. FYI the pumps were bought from Napa and the regulator from Carquest.

When I replaced thepump the first time there was a new wiring connectorso the old one could be cut off and replaced. I asked why and they said it was because the older connectors would arc and eventuallydestroy the connector. The one on the truck was in pristene condition so I didn't mess with it I just slathered on some fresh Dielectric and went about my. Could this be causing the problem?

Old 02-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: No start when warm, Batt drains?

For the battery drain, you have to determine what is causing it. Start by testing across each fuse location in the fuse block. Remove the fuse and use a multimeter to read the amp draw on each circuit. Some circuits may have a high draw initially, but after 5 minutes or so, every circuit should go to its lowest current state. The total amp draw after say 10 minutes should not exceed 35mA for a proper system. If any one circuit is over that, there is a problem on that circuit.

For the no start condition, I would really suspect the quality of the pump installed. Many have had problems with aftermarket pumps. AC Delco pumps are generally accepted as being the best to install. I doubt the connector is the problem.