2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A noise that sounds like a backing plate metal rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 06:17 PM
Starting Member
Becky Jankowski is on a distinguished road
Default A noise that sounds like a backing plate metal rubbing

A noise that sounds like a backing plate metal robbing I like to apologize if this is in the wrong area .

I have a 2008 Chevy trailblazer. When making a left or right turn it sounds like the Backing plate is rubbing . I just pulled the drivers front wheel off checked out the brakes everything is good there. I just have that wheel bearing changed from the shop they change the tleft front, I’ve been having this problem after did the work . Upon visual inspection there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the hub assembly they replaced. I am extremely confused, if there’s any thoughts or ideas of where to check I would greatly appreciate the feedback. And then by the way if I back up left or right regardless of what speed there’s no noise it’s only I’m going forward. So again I’m confused as all heck thank you. I’ve noticed I don’t even need to turn my wheel left to right and I still hear that scraping noise

Last edited by Becky Jankowski; 10-23-2018 at 06:32 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-23-2018, 06:40 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Look to see if you have a thin/bendable metal dust shield that sits inside the inner wheel that may have gotten bent slightly. That's happened to me a few times.

George

Old 10-23-2018, 10:20 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Is it a metal on metal scraping sound? Is something, like the metal dust-shield GeorgeLG mentioned, rubbing against the inside of the wheel? You should also look at it with the wheel installed with a flashlight. With the suspension unloaded and wheel off, you might not see if there is an interference.

When I installed new after market control arms, I routed the ABS sensor wire and the brake line incorrectly. The wire was frayed and the hose bracket (and not the hose fortunately) rubbed against the inside of the wheel. Something like that could have happened to you.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:16 AM
odat is on a distinguished road

Jack up the side that had the bearing replaced, do not just depend on the jack, safely support the vehicle with stands or such. Most auto parts stores have them in their rental section.
Leave the tire on. grab the tire top and bottom and see if you can wobble it back and forth, then do the same side to side and see if you have any bearing slop they may not have torqued the bearing down right.
Repeat on the other side and check for a bad bearing

Last edited by odat; 10-24-2018 at 01:32 AM.