2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

NV236 TCCM Voltage on Motor Feed Pins

Old 05-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The resistance I spoke of in the windings was across the red & black wires, not to ground. You are looking for an increase after a load was applied implying that the windings "opened up" when loaded. 1.6MOhm by itself doesn't sound out of the ordinary for a coil resistance.

I'd like to see the resistance to ground lower than 300 Ohms, but that isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Think of the rotation of the sector shaft this way, but don't take the direction of rotation literally, this is just an example. All the way counter clock wise is 4HI (fully engaged front output with 50/50 torque split). Somewhere in the middle is 2HI. All the way clock wise is 4LO. Auto4wd operates between 4HI & 2HI to apply enough torque to the front axle in order to equalize the prop shaft speed sensor inputs to the TCCM. Once slip in the rear axle is observed, the TCCM will dial up the torque transferred to the front axle until the speed sensor inputs equalize, then dial it back. Whenever a change in encoder position is requested, the encoder brake will unlock. Once the desired position has been obtained, the brake will lock.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 PM
postal0dude is on a distinguished road

Ok for auto4wd, that's how I thought it worked at first, but somewhere I became confused with your explanation of it ..

As fot the coil, are you sure that without power applied it would show in MegaOhms? If I take any DC motor I have it measures resistance in the ohms range always.. If the coil resistance was in the MegaOhms, it would have micro amps to work with and this wouldn't make the motor turn at all.. Unless you tell me there's a switch that connects the coils of the motor winding, but I don't see this as being the case..

Btw, I'm not trying to argue with you, I just want to understand.. :P

Last edited by postal0dude; 05-22-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a while since I have tested one. Maybe the MOhm was the failure mode. I have never had one test bad cold though. Only after a load was applied.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:27 PM

Hmm.. because I'm not even sure if you can use a multimeter (in resistance mode) on a live circuit, I thought the multimeter was sending it's own current in the circuit to measure resistance and applying voltage externally would confuse the multimeter ..

However, I'm not sure.. I'll tell you what my multimeter reads on the new encoder..

Thanks for the help btw, really appreciated!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:33 PM

Ok I've just received the new Encoder Assembly, and the resistance between RED and BLACK is 8 ohms! So this motor has a rating of 1.5 Amps.

So I believe that this proves, that my encoder motor is faulty.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Administrator

That sounds much better. Sorry for the misinformation earlier. I have had a lot on my mind lately.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:52 PM

No Problems, you can't remember everything, too much details

Old 06-24-2012, 01:44 PM

Oy, just updating on this issue.. It's all fixed right now! The TCCM and Encoder motor are changed and everything is good!