2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

OBII Scan tool suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 03:59 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OBII Scan tool suggestions

Looking for a good scan tool kit ranging anywhere from $100-$300.
Name brands of good tools?

Old 11-08-2009, 04:30 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Actron or Innova are good scanners. Really depends on what you want it to do.
This Innova at Sears will do a lot...
Innova at Sears

You have to be careful too. If you own a 95, most low end scanners will not touch them. Some GM's in the 95 experimented with OBDII in 1995. Like my 95 Bonneville, it has the OBDII connector, but the software is actually OBD1.5. Some other GM makes have the OBDII connector, but are true OBD1.0

Of course, the more you want it to do, the more it is going to cost.
You can spend upwards of $4000 for a Tech2 that not only does diagnostics, but can also reprogram factory PCM's. You could change shift points, engine idle, remove speed governor the list goes on.

Try to find one that allows updates via a pc like the Innova I linked to.

Hope this helps your search.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:58 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes! thank you. I was looking at both the Actron and Innova OBDII scan tools on the Sears website this morning comparing them. I'm looking for a scan tool that does a little more than read codes, but also shows me data. Both seem to do that so that's great. I'll go check them out when I run to Sears for new front shocks.
I've had the chance to get my hands on the Pegisys Scan Tool, gotta say that thing is amazing. Worth $5,000

Old 11-08-2009, 07:31 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the one I have been looking at.

About $400 on ebay

http://www.autoxray.com/product_detail.php?pid=136

It's bi directional so you can check sensors

Also with the add in card you can check the ABS Computer

Last edited by 96Blazernut; 11-08-2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: added on
Old 11-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a laptop? I love my AutoEnginuity scanner. Operates like a Tech2 without the ability to reprogram the PCM. Can do CASE relearns and all other system function tests.

I will actually be upgrading to the ProLine sometime soon. Have to pay for a vacation to Grand Cayman first though.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I will actually be upgrading to the ProLine sometime soon. Have to pay for a vacation to Grand Cayman first though.
Gee, I dunno Kyle, vacation vs new "USABLE" toy in the toy box? I'd have to lean towards the new toy myself, but I know how significant others can have an impact on us.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Starting Member
tazz9690 is on a distinguished road

@swartlkk: I just looked on the autoenginuity website. What would you recommend I buy? I have all GM cars. My Blazer, a Firebird, and a Malibu. Thanks Swartlkk

Old 11-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go with the ProLine & GM Enhanced Data package. I have had my autoenginuity scan tool for over 3 years now. I started with an Autotap.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Starting Member
tazz9690 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I'd go with the ProLine & GM Enhanced Data package. I have had my autoenginuity scan tool for over 3 years now. I started with an Autotap.
Hey Swartlkk, I was looking at the Proline with the GM expansion pack that you recommended. It says that it comes with "CAN D". Is that the same as the CANDI that you need to reprogram keyless entry remotes for GM's? Thanks. I am going to be ordering this bad boy next pay check.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Can D is the new network protocol (the evolution of the serial bus communications). I do not know what CANDI is... Most keyless remotes can be programmed by the end user without the need for a scan tool.

Quick Reply: OBII Scan tool suggestions