2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil cooler lines ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:12 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Question Oil cooler lines ????

Today I replaced all my oil cooler lines along with adapter gasket etc. But after driving it about 10 miles this late afternoon I got home To find my top cooler line going to the radiator is leaking fairly good. The fitting in the radiator & hose are both new. I see it dripping when running & I have a mess under the hood. I used Dorman hoses.
Can anyone give me a clue as to what might be causing this? I'm kind of stumped at this point. It go dark on me so I have to leave it until morning.
Thanks

Old 12-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Starting Member
blazerpower is on a distinguished road

are you sure the oil lines are in all the way?

Old 12-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Beginning Member
tntfaguy is on a distinguished road

I've changed out a lot of these lines. Obviously something either isn't tight, or sealing correctly. You didn't crossthread them did you? Was the little o-ring on the end of the line when you put it in?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I had a bent clip that caused a slight leak on my old '00 Bravada. On that truck, the oil lines just clipped into fittings located in the radiator. Took the connection back apart, straightened the clip, and put it all back together and no more leak.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Beginning Member
tntfaguy is on a distinguished road

What year is your truck? My '95 was threaded at the radiator, but Swart is correct, the newer ones were quick connects.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for your input. Pulled it down this afternoon. The quick connect the fitting that screws into the radiator was defective. I installed another new one & it cured the problem. I don't see anything wrong with the one that leaked. I took it to a couple of mechanics I know & they didn't see anything wrong either. The o-rings were good, but it leaked pretty good. So who knows. I was luck the Chevy Dealer only had one in stock. I need to keep an extra on hand I guess.
Thanks Again.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Beginning Member
88skisupreme is an unknown quantity at this point

Struggling with this now. I found it easier to work on with the air cleaner intake removed, its fairly easy to get loose and move out of the way. Sadly I've been working on this a LOT.

I've just brought home my third set of dorman lines and they are all defective. The bottom fitting snaps in but its not tight, just wobbles around despite being in place, of course oil is dripping. I even bought a brand new fitting and still theyre all loose. The thrid set I bought from NAPA, online said they have their own parts supplier, turns out their supplier is buying dorman crap and putting NAPA stickers on it. I should have realized when the first one they brought out had been installed and was all oily; obviously another leaky one that was returned.

I finally have a new car and I about to be free of the Blazer but it seems that it reaaaaaaly wants to leave with a reminder of how much maintainance these things need.

edit: only local option is the dealer, they have GM parts, $110, brutal compared to the $39 dorman but then again the Dorman's completely worthles so....
BTW this is the 2wd with the single hose, I've read up on the 4x4 model and how the dorman line hits the air intake box, that sucks but at least the 4x4 hoses are sparying oil all over.

Last edited by 88skisupreme; 01-17-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

You should have taken the original lines to a hose shop and had them take out the crappy crimps and weak hoses and add pressure fittings and high pressure hose. I replaced mine 3 times until I got smart. I haven't touched them since.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:01 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by grizzstang
You should have taken the original lines to a hose shop and had them take out the crappy crimps and weak hoses and add pressure fittings and high pressure hose. I replaced mine 3 times until I got smart. I haven't touched them since.
And that is exactly what I'm going to do in the spring. Except I'm not going for AN just production quality hydraulic crimps and lines. Should be more than enough for petrochemicals at less than 100lb pressure.

I think I've read enough.. you get what you pay for.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Beginning Member
88skisupreme is an unknown quantity at this point

I should have rebuilt the originals, but I'd alrady trashed them before I found the cheap hoses leaking. Actually I would have done them last year when I put in a new radiator, that would be the ideal time. Anyways looks like the end of my Blazer ownership, thanks for all the help, espcially swartlkk!

Quick Reply: Oil cooler lines ????