2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil in EGR passages? 95 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:47 PM
MrTwister is on a distinguished road
Default Oil in EGR passages? 95 4x4

Finaly took the upper intake off my 95,and as I suspected it's showing signs of a leaky FPR. It also looks as if oil is getting into the EGR passages. Also seems to be traces of oil on the gasket mating surfaces of the intake plennum. Im trying to figure out if it's going to be worth the investment to keep this thing going...what would be causes of the oil found in these areas? and would my EGR valve be salvageable after being exposed to this enviroment? *will edit with pics latter*

Old 06-21-2011, 03:16 PM

pics of mess in plenum. Possibly leaks on both sided? from FPR and lines maybe?

Last edited by MrTwister; 06-21-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the FPR is leaking. I would recommend a replacement spider as well as a new 'nut kit' just for added measure. Those lines always seem to leak if reused after a spider replacement.

While you have it all apart, clean the EGR passages really, REALLY well.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:15 PM

Oh I plan to replace the works. Seen a few vendors on ebay selling the kit with everything for around 300 for rebuild, and 400+ for brand new...both have waranty, blows the dealers prices away. What would be a possible cause of the oil leaking out of the EGR passages? would hate to drop the money and time to find out the engine is gonna grenade itself in a month or two.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Could be a rich condition which is pushing unburnt fuel back through the EGR system, dissolving built up carbon deposits in said system...

Old 06-21-2011, 04:59 PM

Makes sense, I didn't think to give the gunk a smell test. Thanks for your help, gonna be collecting some parts over the next little while, new spider kit, cap, rotor, plugs, wires..probaly a new cat since Im sure the FPR has been leaking since before I bought it.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Starting Member
J.Ray is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys! I have the same vehicle with the same exact problem. It started running bad about 4yrs. ago and i took the EGR valve off, cleaned it, and put it back on. About 6 or 7 months later,it happened again. This time after cleaning it I unplugged it. Ran good up until about 5 months ago. It started idling rough after a minute or so after cranking it. Also started smelling raw gas which let me know it was running entirely too rich. So I finally had the time to pull the EGR valve again. Low and behold, oil slug and I want to say a "watery substance" was inside it. I cleaned and replaced the same one knowing it wouldn't fix the problem so I'm letting it sit until I get you guys' opinions. IS IT WORTH GETTING IT FIXED??? The motor is tight for having more than 225,000miles on it. And not only that. SHOULD I GET THE 4WD FIXED ALSO? It works in 4wd Lo but not 4wd Hi. I know it could be the actuator under the battery box. But what's so odd is that when I took the vacuum line off the actuator, it had water in it. So my question is, "IS THIS VEHICLE WORTH GETTING FIXED?"