2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 07:50 AM
Starting Member
Frank Boffi is on a distinguished road
Default Oil leak

Good morning, new to the forum, but need help! I have a 2001 blazer 2wd, vortec v6, w/ 204k. Truck runs smooth as glass, problem, one day oil starts POURING out of right, rear side of engine can't see exactly where as leaking right at fire wall. Replaced upper/ lower intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, started it up, still pouring out. Is there something there in back of motor I can't see that's causing the leak ? HELP !

Old 10-01-2018, 08:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech* - Please feel free to create a new introduction thread in the 'New Member Area'.

Where is your point of reference? Standing in front of the truck looking at the engine, the right hand side rear of the block will have the oil pressure sending unit. It is just off to the side of the distributor. If the elbow is cracked, oil will definitely leak from this area at a pretty good rate until the oil pan is emptied. I'll try to find a good picture for you -- See the attached image.

If it is the sensor or the elbow, it would have been fairly easy to get to with the lower intake manifold removed. It'll be quite difficult with everything on there. You'll likely have to remove the distributor to properly see the area I'm talking about. The elbow should be able to be removed without removing the LIM again, but that all depends on where it is leaking from & if the elbow is actually cracked or just loose. If the elbow is cracked, it likely will break off when you attempt to remove it. From there it can be fun getting the remaining portion out of the back rail of the block. My bet would be that somewhere along the way, someone hit the elbow and it is now cracked & pushing pressurized oil from the engine.

*Image found on CarComplaints.com and marked up to highlight the sensor being discussed here.

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak-oilpressensor.jpg  

Last edited by swartlkk; 10-01-2018 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Adding picture & more information
Old 10-01-2018, 08:09 AM
Starting Member
Frank Boffi is on a distinguished road

Thanks, will check it out tonight.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

See my edit above which was done after you replied. I added a picture and more explanation as to what's back there and likely to be the source of your problem. Good luck!