2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil leak can't find it

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil leak can't find it

I have notice some oil on my garage floor. So I started looking underneath on my 2003 Chevy Blazer w/97,000 miles and I seen oil at the lowest point where the engine and trans is connected, some on those 2 rubber thingys?(Whatever there for) and couldn't even pinpoint where its coming from. Any ideas? Also some got to the corner of the transmission fluid pan but is not red. Checked the oil and appears very little loss. I like to try to fix major oil leaks but some may feel this one isn't major. Is it coming of old age that I shouldn't worry about? I know motor oil co. are promoting high mileage oil. Are they worth it? Do you think they would stop oil leaks like this one?

Last edited by kmartin; 10-26-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:50 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

high mileage oil is a waste of money. what I would do is wipe off the oil you see on the under side of the engine, and watch and see if you can pinpoint where it is coming from.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:32 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

As stated above, wipe off the bottom of the engine and trans so that there is no fresh oil anywhere.
Then start and let idle, do not move it, and then you will need to get under there and watch.
Likely places are the front cover and the oil pan. If you have a 4wd, remove the shield. check the front oil pan bolts, they like to loosen up and fall out. Also the front cover is plastic and just likes to leak.

Just need to be very careful when under the engine with it running. Do not go sticking your hand into the moving belt or any of the pulleys....the hand will come off...and that would really ruin your day!

Old 10-26-2013, 09:08 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by LannyL81
As stated above, wipe off the bottom of the engine and trans so that there is no fresh oil anywhere.
Then start and let idle, do not move it, and then you will need to get under there and watch.
Likely places are the front cover and the oil pan. If you have a 4wd, remove the shield. check the front oil pan bolts, they like to loosen up and fall out. Also the front cover is plastic and just likes to leak.

Just need to be very careful when under the engine with it running. Do not go sticking your hand into the moving belt or any of the pulleys....the hand will come off...and that would really ruin your day!
That is not the first place that I would look for oil leaking on these things. This is actually the first time I have heard of the oil pan bolts liking to come loose.
First thing I would check if it is 4wd is the remote oil filter lines.
Literally 90% of the time there is an oil leak on these things, it involves those stupid lines.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Beginning Member
brain7734 is on a distinguished road

I have had several GM vehicles and they all have had rear main oil seal leaks. But they never leak enough to be concerned about.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:40 AM
Starting Member
Blade_24k is on a distinguished road

+1 rear main seal, mine leaks but I don't care enought to fix it. Changed one on a 2wd s10 and I found that to be a pain. I miss the days of a 2 peice rear main

Old 10-27-2013, 09:52 AM
00blazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos
high mileage oil is a waste of money. what I would do is wipe off the oil you see on the under side of the engine, and watch and see if you can pinpoint where it is coming from.
Like rich said don't use high mileage oil. I have just under 170k and have no leaks and just use 10w-30. (only because the winter is harsh). you may want to check valve covers. a lot of small leaks happen topside.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for your advise. I did see some oil coming down from where the starter is and somewhere on the engine under the exhaust mainfold. Then I looked above and it seemed that there is oil around the passenger side valve cover on the inside in that little valley. What do you mean by oil seals? Where are they located? Also, with the whole remote oil filter, it appears I have leaks there also. But doesn't appear to be creating that oil leak.

Last edited by kmartin; 10-27-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:52 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

rear main seal is where the shaft connecting to the flywheel comes out of the motor. have to remove the trans to fix it. Mine leaks also. Today I put a bottle of lucas oil leak stop in, hope it works only 11.00 bucks

Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Starting Member

Look at my later post. I believe I mistaken this oil leak for a coolant leak. Almost the same color, and even questioned it to be a coolant leak, but I guest wrong.

Quick Reply: Oil leak can't find it