2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil leak at engine adaptor to remote lines

Old 07-21-2013, 06:24 PM
racsan is on a distinguished road

Well, the leak ended up being the o-ring on the adaptor, new o-rings on the line-to-adaptor didnt do the trick. The replacement adaptor to block o-ring was thicker then the one i had originally put on. I didnt bother with any rtv, its hell enough trying to work in that tight space. I did use a tourque wrench this time, and so far-so good!

Old 07-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by racsan
Well, the leak ended up being the o-ring on the adaptor, new o-rings on the line-to-adaptor didnt do the trick. The replacement adaptor to block o-ring was thicker then the one i had originally put on. I didnt bother with any rtv, its hell enough trying to work in that tight space. I did use a tourque wrench this time, and so far-so good!
That's the same problem I had when I did that job. My solution was to peel the plastic off the top and bottom of the adapter-to-block gasket. After that the adapter would snug up to the bottom of the block well enough that the o-ring would seal up OK. I *REALLY* wish someone would have told me about that before I did the job the first time. It could have saved a lot of time and trouble.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:12 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by racsan
Originally Posted by Toby Hanson
That's the same problem I had when I did that job. My solution was to peel the plastic off the top and bottom of the adapter-to-block gasket. After that the adapter would snug up to the bottom of the block well enough that the o-ring would seal up OK. I *REALLY* wish someone would have told me about that before I did the job the first time. It could have saved a lot of time and trouble.

Same here!!!! The one at the parts stores is too thick! The only thing worse than doing this job is having to do it twice (or more...)

Old 07-23-2013, 12:07 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I do not do any towing or anything of that nature, strictly city truck, so do not take what I say seriously. But I completely deleted the remote housing and put the filter back on the block. Took a 400+ mile trip without a problem. GM has a wonder developing this on their hands...