2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil... oil, everywhere!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Starting Member
KA3AX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil... oil, everywhere!

Hello to all!

I just have some questions...

I have oil between the differential and CV axle (front driver's side), it is not leaking but I don't like the way it looks. Could that be the seal that went bad?

Also the front passenger side, I have A LOT of oil around the inner CV boot and the axle seal (or the axle tube seal, whatever it is called). I took the axle out and saw that the seal is a little bit damaged but when I turned my axle upside down the oil started to drip out of it??? I don't get it?

Lastly, my oil filter and all the oil and power steering hoses that are around the oil filter, all are in oil. I heard that there is some problem with these power steering pumps in our Blazers, could that cause that much fresh oil?

Please help anyone...
It seems to me that I'm just fixing and fixing and fixing my Blazer[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Thanks in advance

Old 01-14-2007, 10:05 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Oil... oil, everywhere!

I have all the same problems you are stating. I wouldnt say its normal, but its somthing to keep an eye on.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:31 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Queation #1, yes it's probably the diff axle oil seal.

Question#2, I don't qite understand "turned the axle upside down". If a seal is damaged, it should be replaced.

Question#3, I would get a can of brake and parts cleaner, clean off all the oil and then watch closely for a few days to see where the oil is actually coming from. It could be the p/steering front shaft seal, oil filter, engine oil cooler lines etc...

This does not only happen on Blazers, most vehicles develop oil leaks at some point in time.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:35 PM
filstoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a bad seal in the front differential. I just changed both axle seals and they were $7 eachfrom the dealer. Wasn't too bad of a job.Popped them out with a small pry bar and tapped them in with a hammer. Piece of cake.
The other problem you're describing sounds like it might be the oil filter extension leaking at the block and running down the hoses to the oil filter. Take off the plastic shield on the bottom and you should be able to see it pretty easily.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The crimp connections in the lines to the remote oil filter are known to fail. I would check these out closely as they could cause oil to go all over the place as you drive down the road and the wind has its way.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Starting Member
KA3AX is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone. I love ya'll!

Old 01-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No problem! That's what we're here for. Let us know what the final cause of the whole mess is!