2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

only blow air through dash vents when set to floor or defrost

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Beginning Member
dunontme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default only blow air through dash vents when set to floor or defrost

I think I need to replacethe wholeheater/AC Control Panelunder the radiobecause I only blow air through the dash vents even when set to floor or defrost. The temp andAC controls work fine,or can I just replace the vacuum cluster that plugs into the position switch? Can I get this part at auto zone or dealerships only? Is it hard to replace? Thank guys

Old 08-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: only blow air through dash vents when set to floor or defrost

Have a search through the forum. I have posted the vacuum diagram and the logic chart for the various modes which will allow you to diagnose your problem more preciesly rather than just replace parts. Sounds like your mode door actuator might be stuck.

As far as the HVAC control head is concerned, I'd look for one at the junk yard. With a quick glance at the various parts websites i use, I could not find it. They release more and more parts everyday so things could change at any moment.

The forums is the most appropriate place to ask questions anyhow. You don't have to wait for me to respond to your PM.

*EDIT* - Correcting the post with text instead of a picture. Forum software problems had forced me to respond using a screen shot of the post.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I had forgotten about this post when I responded to one of the PMs you sent me a few weeks ago. I hadn't read it and did not want you waiting on me to answer it. Much better to just keep things in the forum.

Did you ever get it figured out?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Beginning Member
Clay_Assassin is an unknown quantity at this point

I just stumbled across your post looking for another one, and I had just solved this issue on my vehicle.

You have a failure at the actuator which closes off the panel vents, and directs air to the floor. Here’s how I determined the solution:

Remove the under dash panels by the drivers side peddles. In the dash on the right side there are two actuators. One has a blue and red hose, the other brown and yellow. The brown and yellow hoses connect to the actuator up higher in the dash. Disconnect the yellow and brown hoses, and actuate the ***** on the A/C controller. You should hear and be able to feel vacuum being pulled on these hoses when you change the **** position. The vacuum will not be strong without the engine running, so you may need to have the truck running.

If you have no vacuum, and you’re A/C controller has an “auto” setting, you can trace the problem to either the solenoids or the head unit. The solenoids are behind the ash tray. (you have to remove the ash tray to find it).
I purchased both the solenoids and the head unit on-line, with the intent of returning the part that didn’t solve the problem. For me, it turned out to be the solenoids.