2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Only one headlight working

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 09:51 AM
DannyTheVito is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mike.308
Did You test in the same manner a high beam too or just the xenon drivers?
You've checked the positive wire and a negative one - and as far as I understand, You have 12V power supply on the xenon driver terminals. So either the lamp does not kick in or there's not enough current supply to the driver and it brownouts. Can You disconnect the HID from a OEM socket and stick in a regular lightbulb? While swapping sides, You've swapped the HID lightbulb too, right?
I'll check the highbeam voltage this afternoon. I don't have a regular lightbulb to test with. I've tried several different bulbs, even the known good one from the passenger side.

So something else I should have mentioned from the start, the headlight toggle switch does nothing. I'm not sure what it's supposed to do, but any position I set it to makes no difference. The head lights turn on using the sensor. Not sure if this has anything to do with my problem, but felt I should mention it.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:07 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

If I understand You well, Your xenon driver plug goes into a standard lightbulb socket. Is that correct? If You plug in a standard bulb with filament instead, You may see it glowing if there's a connectivity problem. Xenon one is not giving much of an info here. It costs peanuts, I suggest You to get one. A filament lightbulb has tons of use in troubleshooting.

I don't have my lamp sensor's driven, so I cannot say much in that topic.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mike.308
If I understand You well, Your xenon driver plug goes into a standard lightbulb socket. Is that correct? If You plug in a standard bulb with filament instead, You may see it glowing if there's a connectivity problem. Xenon one is not giving much of an info here. It costs peanuts, I suggest You to get one. A filament lightbulb has tons of use in troubleshooting.

The cheapest bulb I can find is $13, hardly peanuts . But at this point it's a worthy investment, next time I head out I'll pick one up. This old Blazer has made me good friends with the counter workers at the local parts shop.

I tested the highbeams with some strange results. I put the negative probe on the negative battery terminal and the positive back-probed into the non-working drivers side purple and got 0.8 volts with highbeams turned on and 1.1 on the passenger side.

I switch the probes around with the positive probe on positive terminal, then I put the negative back-probed into the green wire of each highbeam. When turned on I got 11.5 volts on the non-working drivers side and ~0.80 on the working passenger side. I'm not sure what to make of those results. Maybe I screwed up? I still have my doubts on the accuracy of my harbor frieght meter so I'm being careful to test multiple times.

After more pondering, I want to lean towards a bad ground. The turn signal on that side does the "fast blink" like when you would have a light out. Neither light is out. It has done that since I bought it (when that headlight worked). I just assumed the previous owner put a lower wattage/LED bulb in one of the sockets.

Last edited by DannyTheVito; 10-04-2018 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Added more info that should have been in the first post.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:54 PM

Hey Danny,
Sorry for late reply. I've been to busy to keep up with BF.
A picture worth a thousand word:

I am hoping it's all clear now There is a sensor switch implemented somehow, that is not mentioned on the schematic. Your readings You're posted are leading to a blown fuse - You have two separated ones for either side. But due to a "green" color I've decided to better make a sketch. Aging of pigments on the wire coating may be misleading.
Unknown things are with "?". On a left side voltmeters show You how to make a measurement and yellow lines tell You what action to take. Hope it's clear enough. I am an engineer not a painter

Old 10-06-2018, 07:50 PM

I've got some googling to do to figure out how to read a schematic.

I was searching around to find any info I could about this issue. I started playing around with the multifunction switch (That's the turn indicator/cruise control/brights switch right?). I tried holding it when I switch the brights on to see what kind of results I would get. Nothing too interesting there. I decided to hold it again on the "turn off" click. The passenger side headlight would turn on, but the drivers side wouldn't do the flickers until I let go of the switch. Not sure how it's normally supposed to behave when doing that, but thought it was interesting. I'm heading out tomorrow to pick up a regular bulb. Hopefully I'll have your schematic figured out by then.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:58 AM

Reading schematics in this case resembles a labyrinth puzzle. You have to find the way from a positive battery terminal through a "red wire", relays, lamps, "brown wire" till the negative terminal.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:53 PM

Well, I'm not sure what to say now. Mike, if you're ever in my neck of the woods I owe you a steak dinner.

Replaced this 15A fuse for the LTHDLP and she's shining brighter than ever.
It should have been the first thing I checked, just didn't make sense to me for it to be a fuse if I was getting a little spark out of the lights.

And as for only being able to operate the headlights with the daylight sensor, to switch to using the manual switch all I had to do was toggle the dome override button a couple of times.
Also, fixed my drivers side turn signal flashing fast. Turns out I DID have a burnt out bulb in the brake light. The "bright" mode of one of the bulbs had burnt out. I like it when things are quick and easy fixes.

Thanks again, Mike. You were a huge help!

Old 10-15-2018, 01:34 PM

I was just helping. You did the job
I am glad to hear. It is always welcome to hear a prompt feedback, especially that the vast of the threads are abandoned.
EDIT:
just didn't make sense to me for it to be a fuse if I was getting a little spark out of the lights.
If You plug in a standard bulb with filament instead, You may see[...] if there's a connectivity problem. A filament lightbulb has tons of use in troubleshooting.
The electronic drivers may be tricky (as in Your case, for example), so to exclude them at once it is always a good idea to load with the resistive lightbulbs.

Last edited by Mike.308; 10-15-2018 at 02:00 PM.