2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Opinions on my problem CV shaft or Hub bearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:07 PM
supraomega is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opinions on my problem CV shaft or Hub bearing

99 blazer 170k

I need your opinions if you think that my front left hub is going or if you think that it is my CV shaft. I am getting a combination sound like a rubbing brake/humming/brake dust shield vibrating on my front drivers side wheel. This only happens at slow speeds while taking hard right turns. I Pulled the front tire off this weekend, and didn't notice any grinding or rough spots in the hub, but I also did not pull the CV shaft out of it. CV shaft boots are intact and look to be in great shape, no clicking from them when making hard turns. I do get a clunk in the front end when backing out of my garage on a downhill slant and making a hard left turn. I also noticed that the boot is torn on the drivers side outer tie rod, but I don't think that it is related to this sound, it will be replaced soon though. I replaced both front hub bearings, ball joints, and front shocks just over a year ago. An alignment was done soon after that. I should also note that the ABS sensor has died in one of the new hubs because I am having problems with it coming on when coming to a stop so the fuse was pulled for now.

The one hub that is in question came from O'reilys not to keen on there products but it does have a lifetime warranty on it, and I was in a pinch on a Sunday. Do you think that I possibly have another Hub bearing going out or the CV shaft is giving early signs of failure? Any other ideas on what it may possibly be?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

CV shafts typically tick when you turn. Sure sounds like your left hub is shot.

With hubs, you get what you pay for. It very rarely works out in your favor to go with cheaper replacements or no-name brands. I have used hubs from Timken, SKF, and AC Delco with no complaints.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:32 PM
supraomega is an unknown quantity at this point

thats what i figured, too. Guess its a good thing I bought the lifetime warranty, like i said i was in a pinch on a sunday otherwise oreillys would never have been a thought. Just wanted to get other peoples thoughts, thanks for your help.

Where is the best place/price to purchase the premium bearings such as timken, skf, or AC from?

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-11-2010 at 12:52 AM. Reason: *Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit feature to add more information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

RockAuto.com carries them all. Napa also carries the SKF stuff. AC Delco has retailers that you can search for on ACDelco.com.