2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Over 1 Month since last start and out of ideas...

Old 01-13-2010, 07:45 AM
pigmak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Over 1 Month since last start and out of ideas...

A little over a month ago my 01 Extreme decided she did not want to run anymore. She would struggle to start and then stopped over time. It sounded like something was getting wet perhaps and once it dried she would fire up. I am getting spark and I believe I am getting fuel, as I am not sure or how to be sure. I do hear the Fuel Pump kick on when i turn the key. Pump is 3 years old. I found my Distributor Cap screw to be stripped last week and have since fixed that problem, hoping it was the reason for the no start, with no luck. My battery is only a year old but am I crazy to think it may be bad? In the last 4 months I have replaced or had replaced my Intake Gasket, Serpentine belt, Distributor Rotor, Distrib. Cap, radiator and hoses, and Thermostat. Since the No start I have replaced the Ignition Coil, Spark Plugs, and wires. I thought the gas may have had water in it so I added some removal plus some fresh gas. With some either she almost fired yesterday but something is just not right. I was told by the neighbor lady of all people that it was my timing being off. Is it? How can I fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need this vehicle to drive my daughter to and from school. Thank you all.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:46 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would start by testing and verifying the fuel pressure according to the steps in this post:
96+ Fuel System Diagnosis
The test port is the schrader valve on the metal fuel inlet line behind the throttle body.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Default Ok, so...

I am sure I have a fuel problem...Thing is I do not have much money or access to some of those things on those massive amounts of lists....I cannot pay to have this towed, i am unemployed...I am an amateur....I hear the fuel pump hum on but when i go to start and try to see if fuel is coming out Scrader port, it is not...Can anyone help me troubleshoot please....I am stuck....I have been working on this every day for over a month and i know i am close...Thank you anyone...

Old 01-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

Is there gas in the tank? sounds like a stupid ? but ive seen people change fuel pumps and they were just out of gas.

Have you change you filter? It will clog up compleatly and not allow the truck to run at all

Old 01-19-2010, 11:11 AM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

You should be able to use a gauge from your local auto parts store to test fuel pressure. That is the only way to be sure.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Beginning Member
Sirloin is on a distinguished road
Default Target you fuel issue first

Then, if you've added fuel and got good pressure ... I'd pull the distributor cap off, and see if there is any play in the distributor shaft ... these 4.3's have been known to have a distributor go bad, now & then.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with fuel when I bought my 94 Blazer. You could hear the pump run. Trouble was, it wasn't delivering enough pressure. The Vortec fuel pressure is nornally 55 - 61 psi. If your pump osn't pitting enough out it win't start. Mine did start a fwe times with ether but nafter a while wouldn't hit a lick no matter how much of the stuff I sprayed in it. You really need to get a gauge somehow and check it. Some auto parts stores "rent" the stuff for free.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Default Filter?

Thank you all for responding. Yes there is gas in her tank. I would like to check or change the fuel filter. I hope this is what is wrong. My Cap and Rotor are new and, trust me, they are giving off good spark,lol . This is fuel and I hear it hum when i turn the key. Can someone please guide me to a how to or help me to locate and change my Fuel Filter. I am not even sure if i can do this or where to begin. Thanks again.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Beginning Member
lucky 13 performance is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pigmak
Thank you all for responding. Yes there is gas in her tank. I would like to check or change the fuel filter. I hope this is what is wrong. My Cap and Rotor are new and, trust me, they are giving off good spark,lol . This is fuel and I hear it hum when i turn the key. Can someone please guide me to a how to or help me to locate and change my Fuel Filter. I am not even sure if i can do this or where to begin. Thanks again.
i believe the fuel filter is located inside the frame rail on the drivers side towards the middle.
i believe there is an access plate but im not 100% sure.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

If it's like about every other S10 I have seen (Trucks and Blazers) the filter is located on the left inside frame rail about the middle of the driver's door (4 door slightly back from there). It takes a 16mm wrench for the line and a 20mm wrench for the filter although lots of guys use what ever is close or a crescent wrench. Mine was so tight when I changed it I didn't dare use anything but what fit. In fact when I loosened it I used a flare nut wrench with a cheater. There should also be a clamp around it that bolts to the upper flange of the frame. You really want to reinstall it. It can be a bit of a challenge.