2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P0101 Help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 AM
importsky22 is on a distinguished road
Default P0101 Help.

Hey guys!

Just recently decided to stop working on my 2000 blazer with 256k miles, and bought a new 4x4 2003 blazer with only 57k miles.

Im having this code pop up 3 times within the past week and i need some help narrowing it down.

The first time it came on was after I was fiddling with the T joint in the vacumm line and one of the lines pretty much dissolved, so i did a rough job taping it up temporarly then later that day i got the code.

So i went and got a new tube (7/18th?) and put it on, code when away shortly after. Well then the next day it came back on, so i figured the hose was too long and cause it was such a small opening maybe there was a kink, so i shortended that same line and the code went away.

So last night i came around a corner then accelerated hard after as soon as i came off the gas the light came back on. So i fiddled around today...didnt really do anything other than pop off the intake at the plenum and put it back on, no more light.

Any ideas?

My only performance issues is it seems a little sluggish, but i have never owned a 4x4 blazer with this low of miles so i thought maybe it was normal, and i do get some pinging under heavy aceleration which i attributed to plugs and wires that i plan to replace.

Keep in mind ALL my tools are in my other blazer which is still sitting on the lot at the shop. So i cant really do much right now. I am thinking maybe the MAF needs to be cleaned, but as i stated, i have no tools on me

Thanks for reading all this!

Last edited by importsky22; 06-21-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor?
MAF Sensor Cleaning
P0101 - Mass Air Flow System Performance

Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 AM

Well thats the problem swart, is that i dont even have 2 of the most basic tools on me that i need to get it off! aggravating!

But based on what i mentioned, the light coming on after hard acceleration, does that seem like a good possiblity?

Old 06-21-2012, 09:40 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...agnosis-26408/

Searching in here often yields answers. I'd correct the 101 code & then go from there if there are any other issues.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 AM

Well Rotti I do understand searching yields results, but those results I already knew, and are useless to me without also explaining what my vehicle is currently doing and experiencing.

Which in turn is why i made this thread, after searching, because a P0101 can be several things, and people have such different results in there effort to fix said problem.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing you need to do is clean the MAF sensor. If you don't have the tools with you, then get them. Lets not even talk about theories until you have done that and report back as to whether the problem is resolved. These vehicles do NOT like a dirty MAF sensor.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 AM

Alright so today I took off my filter cover and the filter was caked in black underneath, i dont think the original owner ever changed it! So that got replaced right away.

While I was in there, I did as you said and cleaned the MAF, although it looked pretty darn clean to begin with, reassembled it and have yet to drive it. Gotta go to work in a few hours so ill see if it runs any different then.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:21 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Well if the air filter was that clogged it would effect the MAF. It measures mass air flow & by the sounds of it there wasn't any or much 'mass' to the air flow so that may cause the 101 code. See how it runs etc & if the light clears itself.
When cleaning the MAF you're really only cleaning the 3 eyelash diameter wires on it so it's not easy to see much dirt on the Q-Tip. The honeycomb air straightener will get dusty & grungy but unless it's clogged as well it shouldn't hamper air flow.
When I have mine apart I use brake cleaner on the honeycomb plate & isopropyl alcohol/rubbing alcohol on the electronics.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:42 PM

Well after a day of it not coming back on, a lass it did today, again under heavy acceleration/load.

My only noticeable symptom which may or may not be related is the vehicle it self seems very poor in accelerating, and when it shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd there is a noticeable vibration in the floor board right before it shifts, and spark knock under heavy acceleration/load. i assumed the vibration normal for this blazer but what do i know?

My 2000 2wd blazer did nothing of the sort and it had 256k miles on it, this only has 58k .

I also read alot of people ran into the 0101 code and it turned out to be a clogged cat? Does that fit?

Other than what i said i have no trouble while idling or starting the truck, only other thing i notice while driving is my oil pressure seems to be low on idle at about 1/4 then it will rise to almost 3/4 while accelerating.

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Old 06-24-2012, 10:01 AM

Anything?