2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P0101 SES Help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

The other night on the highway my vehicle started bucking and in od it bogged really bad. In every gear it dogged and wouldnt go above 2 grand. I rented a scan tool and checked it last night.
P0101 MAF or VAF A Ckt range/perf came up.
I unplugged the maf and drove around the block and it drove okay. So then I took off the MAF and cleaned it although it was clean from last time I cleaned it. Put it back in and the vehicle ran okay again. Went to the bank and as I was leaving the bank it went downhill. It idles really low at times and will die at lights.
It idles high and low and is not stable. So I decided to go to Autozone and buy a MAF assuming the electronic part was bad. I leave AutoZone and my vehicle died in the intersection and about 5 minutes later I got it out of the intersection and limped to a park a block away and changed the maf. No difference what so ever.
So this is where im at so far. Cleaning the Maf, checked for the connection pins being okay, looked for shorts, replaced the maf. It seems like the problem becomes really bad at times where it struggles to even crank and it runs for 2 seconds. Other times it runs like its normal. Right now its only throwing a pending code and when I unplug the maf I get the low voltage code P102 because its unplugged which makes me think theres no shorts. I would really appreciate any help. I am really at loss for what can be wrong. I will take a volt meter and test the pins and post the results soon.
Thanks,
Brian

https://blazerforum.com/forum/diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs-49/p0101-explained-31561/
Heres a write up Swartlkk wrote on it.
I wanted to add too that it seems that if I were to start the vehicle up on a cold motor it runs okay but after 7-10 minutes of driving the issues start

I'm reading where the cat is plugged in some cases with this code. Mines been rattling for some time and its not any shield. Wouldnt there be a code if the cat plugged? I don't think thats the issue because my overall performance isnt crap. only when the truck starts to act up.

Last edited by rriddle3; 01-08-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS.PLEASE USE THE 'EDIT' BUTTON TO ADD TO A POST IF NOBODY HAS YET REPLIED.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Just for grins and giggles, check fuel pressure and leakdown: https://blazerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45941

Old 01-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Starting Member

If I had the tool I would. I'm stumped on whats wrong.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Anyone that owns a 4.3L with CMFI or CSFI that plans on working on it, ought to have a fuel pressure tester! Harbor Freight has one for under $20. It's not professional grade by any means, but it'll get you by. http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-in...ter-92699.html

Old 01-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

Just for s*&#s and giggles wonder if you pulled one of the front o2 sensors-forward (engine side) of the convertor if this would allow it to run better thus confirming or eliminating the cat. convertor possibility. Jerry

Old 01-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Starting Member

Alright so I unplugged the pre cat 02 sensor. Other than sounding like a tractor it ran great. I drove around for almost if not a hour. Never skipped a beat. I stopped at a gas station and it went to poop after that. Pulling out into the intersection it trew two codes that were pending. P0106 MAP/ BARO CKT Range/ Performance and Po101 MAF or VAF A CKT Range/ Performance. 5 minutes later it started up and drove okay less than a mile home and then died 5 feet from the garage.

Last edited by Brianator99; 01-09-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:11 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Sounds very similar to mine. Mine never died but thats cuz I haven't had my radio on just to listen if it will die. Chris (old skool luvr) changed my dist cap. I did rotor and wires in the summer but never did the cap. That changed a whole lot! Still hesitates but has more power! Chris thought next was the fuel regulator and cat. test. If its my cat, its coming off till I get a new one.

We took it to a shop with a really good scan tool that showed what was actually happening in real time. Misfired all one side constantly until I did the cap. Still misfires but not bad at all. Chris' timing was out something like -15 and thinks I have the same issue just not quite as bad.

Take the cap off and check it. If the contacts look fuzzy change it out! While you got it off check the rotor too.

Good Luck and keep us updated!

Old 01-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Starting Member

I'm pretty sure its the cat thats clogged. After reading 50+ threads on the internet and seeing the clogged cat causing the P0101 it has to be the case but I'm worried why the MAP sensor set off the ses code.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:22 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Yea mine threw that alot and Chris gave me a (to his knowledge) working one and the other little sensor and inch after too. Have yet to check codes but I know O2 will be one of them.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Starting Member

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/ch...terneast831661

Has anyone used a direct fit cat or the entire y pipe?

Quick Reply: P0101 SES Help please