2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P0155 changed part-engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 01:10 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Sure you can.

And if I'm not mistaken the lite should go out after you make a few trips. It's not like some faults, the PCM can determine pretty quickly that the sensor heater works to spec.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Seeing you had no codes for the cat or that sensor, it's fine to put it back where it was. The downstream sensor is ONLY for the cat. If you were to remove the cat, that sensor would pick it up & throw a P0420. The EPA makes manufacturers put it there so people like me won't hog the cat out & throw it in the trash. But there's still ways around that if so inclined ...

The 2 upstream sensors you NEED to have, as these dictate how much fuel the engine is supposed to be getting. Downstream is for emissions only. Useless in my humble opinion.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Beginning Member
shablaze is on a distinguished road

Thanks all of you again for the assistance. My son just got the sensor changed. He had a difficult time with it b/c of where it is located. At first he didn't think he would be able to do it but he got it! Yay! Next we learn break pads..just don't have the skill or the tools. We'll look for someone to guide us that has tools so he can learn. My son is only 17...he learned how to change the oil last weekend and says he's ready to work on engines now, lol!

We also have a small tranny leak but no idea where it's coming from. Fluid checked and it looks good so I guess we'll tackle that later...somehow.

Last edited by shablaze; 02-03-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:00 AM
war00 is on a distinguished road

glad to hear that you got i all figured out.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Beginning Member

:-( SES light back on this morning after driving exactly 100.4 miles since changing the sensor :-(

Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Take it and get it read again. If it's still that sensor's heater code, then there's a problem in the wire harness.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Beginning Member

Ok thank you. By the way, I was looking at the part compatibility online where I actually bought the sensor and from what i see, what I was sold says compat with 2004 but my vehicle is a 2002. I see another part that is compat with mine though. Could that make a difference? Idk what I need anymore and this is so frustrating.

*called the store and advised of my code and part # for what they gave me. the guy says oh its wrong, just bring the old one with the receipt and we will swap it out. I can't do anything until next weekend. I am sooo frustrated with this. I don't know if changing this AGAIN will work or not but I sure hope so. How will I kno if all is good so I can go get and inspection? I thought making it to 100 miles put us in the clear. Would the issue be b/c we have the wrong part?

Last edited by shablaze; 02-06-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Chuk Rhodes is on a distinguished road

Make them give you the right one, size is only part of it. It has to match electrical specs for the engine computer too.

"Oxygen Sensor" and "Oxygen Sensor Heater" are two of the Non-continuous tests, fairly sure you HAVE to clear the code to recheck, I think it will try several times before throwing the code.

I went through this after replacing the cat, went ahead and did all 4 with Bosch, and haven't had a problem for a year now - around 5K miles.

Sounds like you want to at least have #2 and #3 in that diagram to be new. My 97 Blazer has 3 before the cat. Since I have to pass CA smog, I did them all.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Beginning Member

update.... I had some extra $$$ from my income tax check so I put my blazer in the shop as I cannot afford to keep changing stuff and keep having issues..Shop just called and the problem is the BOSCH sensor we put on. Wiring and everything else is fine! Yay! Said I'll probably have to drive it a bit and bring it back for inspection to pass.

On a sad note, I have a leak. Had them check it and it is coolant from lower intake gasket and I was told that will cost $450...which I will have to address later and hopefully for less money elsewhere.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Beginning Member
lunghd is on a distinguished road

One single parent to another with Blazeritis - I feel your pain. I'm also a member of the "Code of the Day" club.

You guys can easily do the front brake pads - just have your son pick up a large "c" clamp at Harbor Freight. Makes compressing the brake pistons in for the new ones to go on much easier.

Quick Reply: P0155 changed part-engine light on