2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P0171 code

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Keep in mind, 100+psi so you need the good hose clamps, like on the tester above, NOT the worm gear clamps. You're checking for pressure and leakdown, so there can't be any leaks when the pump is running.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:27 PM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road
Default Blowing off.

Ok, I rigged it up and put it on after disconnecting the quick disconnect side and removing lock tab.

Wife turned the Key ON and pump came on and pressure shot up to 100psi(gauge only goes to 100psi), Key OFF, pressure started to drop slowly and then when it got down to about 80psi, the gauge and everything shot off the fuel filter. I tired it again, thinking I didnt put it on tight and it didnt click. Same thing, pressure up to 100, starts to come down and pssss, off comes the gauge.

On a side note, I noticed that when the wife turned the key OFF, the pump would come on again. Is that normal??

Old 12-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Gotta be a tight connection and it must remain intact for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off.

When you turn the ignition OFF, it's normal for the pump to prime, (~2 seconds).

Old 12-21-2013, 05:27 PM

I do have a tight connection or at least I think I do. Its blowing off at the quick disconnect. Like its not locking on to the filter. Im about go back out and see what the issue is.

Ok, I didnt know about the pump prime at key off. Thanks

Old 12-21-2013, 06:18 PM

Failure on the pressure.

I was able to get it stay connected, now I cant get it off.

At the 8 min mark, it hit 55psi, by the end of the 10mins it was down to 52psi. It dropped slowly if that matters.

So what now???

Old 12-21-2013, 10:37 PM

We now know the pump can supply 52psi for 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. In post #4, you mentioned it dropped off right away. We need to know what the pressure is 10 minutes after the pump shuts off, at the service port. Check it again at the service port, and post the 10 minute reading.

If pressure drops below 52psi at the service port 10 minutes after the pump shuts off, there's a bigger leak going on in the plenum. At the pump, 52psi after 10 minutes "technically" fails, but, we really need to find out if that's the ONLY leak.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:58 AM

ok, I did the service port check. After about 5-6 mins it dropped to 53psi and held for the rest of the time.

But I changed one variable, I had to replace the fuel filter. I couldnt get the quick disconnect piece off the old filter, so I just swapped it out.

I disconnected the battery to hope clear any codes.

Let me know, what to do now.

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:20 PM

63psi is what your fuel pressure regulator is set for, and it is not leaking internally or externally. 53psi leakdown is just below the minimum allowable. 100psi+ at the pump is good. 52psi leakdown at the pump is virtually the same as the 53psi leakdown at the service port. What all this means: There is a very slight leakdown problem in the tank, (probably the check valve in the pump). It will not cause the symptoms you're experiencing as long as it keeps doing what it's doing. There is a possibility that the check valve does not seal the same each time. Technically speaking, yes, the pump needs replacement, but be aware, it may not do anything for your symptoms.

In your first post you mentioned all this started when you did a "tune up" These things are real fussy when it comes to tune up parts. What brand name, (and part number) did you install for plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor?

Old 12-22-2013, 07:28 PM

The truck was doing all this before I did the tune up. A Check Engine scan at Autozone, indicated the p0300 and the p0171. I did the tune up, thinking it would correct the issues. But it didnt. So here I am. I'll grab a can of MAF cleaner tomorrow and spray it down. If it continues to run like crap, I guess I'll grab a pump and drop the tank and replace that.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:46 PM

These things are real fussy when it comes to tune up parts. What brand name, (and part number) did you install for plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor?

Quick Reply: P0171 code