2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P0300 at idle...just got it running again.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:59 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve
Default P0300 at idle...just got it running again.

I just replaced the spider ***'y with one of unknown history. Didn't have the code before the swap, as I replaced mine after breaking the fuel line anchor bolts. The only other thing I changed was the distributor b/c one of the holes that the cap screws to was broken. Misfire was present before I swapped dizzy's. Is it fair to say the spider ***'y is the problem? Anyone know how to remove the poppets from the assembly itself? Thanks!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:09 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

If its like mine the spider assy. is replaced as a complete unit.Popets can be moved to another cylinder if they reach . Did you hook the cam sensor plug back up on the dizzy?did you install the wires in proper firing order?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is quite easy to remove the poppets from the spider body on the SCFI motors, but I would not recommend it. Nor would I recommend anyone install a used spider even if it came from a known good engine.

I would say that a new spider is what you should be looking to install. Go with the upgraded MFI spider and get rid of the poppet nozzles for good.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:36 AM

Ok, so I ordered a new spider assembly and bracket from gmpartsdirect.com Gonna do a compression test tomorrow afternoon. I've got to borrow the compression tester from my instructor, as I don't have one. I'm taking Auto Technology at the local technical college. Pulled the plugs this morning. A couple were a little fouled, so I cleaned them up with a propane torch. Getting good spark to every cylider, also.

Oh yea, it's now throwing P0303 instead of P0300. And the SES light isn't flashing anymore, either.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

P0303 indicates a misfire on the #3 cylinder. Start there with your compression check.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:32 PM

that was the plan...

Old 08-24-2009, 05:06 PM

Result of the compression test are in. #3 matched the others to the T. One thing I did notice, which I think confirmed my suspiscion was the end in the spark plug hole didn't smell of gas when I took it out(I checked #3 first). It reaked of fuel after I tested the next cyl, so that tells me #3 isn't getting fuel.

My instructor said something about using propane through the tb and it would find its way to the cyl not getting fuel, making it fire. I may try that in a little while. No reason to really, but it'd be nice to see it run at least for a sec with no misfire.

Last edited by midnightbluS10; 08-24-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:13 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

If you're not getting fuel to that cylinder, the popett is most likely bad or plugged, when you get the new spider installed your issue will most likely be solved.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Starting Member
gscrippler is an unknown quantity at this point

X2 replace the Spider and go from there

Old 08-28-2009, 07:21 AM

Holy crap...gmpd.com shipping is a ****. I ordered it this past saturday and every time I check my order status it say "On Order" This blows.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0300 at idle...just got it running again.