2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P0303!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:36 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough
Default P0303!! :(

Ok i need some help.. Just replaced the spider in the 2000 blazer that i just got and it fired right up and ran smooth as can be, no more rough idle and no misfire.

So today i drove it about 20 miles on the highway to get the drive cycle done with so i can get emissions done, everything went great until i saw the temp rising (didnt let it get passed 240) so i stopped in a parking lot, turned off the truck and popped the hood and found out i had a bad rad cap and it leaked fluid all over. So i tightened it again and started the truck and it instantly started running like crap (rough idle) which i later found out was P0303.

So i get it home and put in the new AC Delco cap and rotor that i had for it and started it and still same story. So my question.. Will the plug or wire just all of a sudden be bad??? Im assuming #3 plug wasn't replaced because its the hardest one to get to and they also werent replaced with AC Delco.

Im really hoping my #3 injector didnt just stop working, but im not sure how that would all of a sudden stop working also. I unplugged the battery for a while to reset the CP and when i started it again it seemed to run fine for about 3 seconds then back to crap.

So questions again: Can the Injector or plug or plug wire just all of a sudden go bad? Could i have gotten something wet with the rad fluid?

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 05-17-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yes, any one of them could fail. If #3 plug hasn't been replaced, now would be the time to do it. AC Delco 41-993 with a gap of .060" Then clear the DTC's and drive it. If the P0303 comes back, swap plug wires with another cylinder, clear the DTC's and drive it again. If the the DTC moves to the cylinder that you swapped wires with, you have a bad wire.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:14 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Alright ill go ahead and do that tomorrow thanks for the reply. lol im not real excited about getting to the #3 plug. I thought it was just strange how it started misfiring all of a sudden after coolant boiled over after restarting.

Oh and on a side note, when i first got it and it was running rough i replaced the cap and rotor with the old ones i took off my truck because i knew they were good, and it helped a lot but then replacing the spider completely fixed it. Until this.. But i knew going into it that the PO had crap plugs and wires put in it.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Pull the steering intermediate shaft off of the steering gearbox and move it out of the way. 5 minutes and you can get right at #3

Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 PM

Yeah thats how easy it is on mine but on this 2000 there's 2 thick lines that either run to the power steering pump or into the block, my guess is coolant, and they block the bolt for the shaft. They are the thick braided type lines with metal ends.. And those lines are not present on my truck. Ill just have to look at it tomorrow when i get the air box out.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 AM
spittybays

Took mine out with out taking off the shaft with a regular wrench. The problem was getting the thread started. Stuck a piece of fuel line on the new one as kind of a flex spinner. Not my idea, worked great.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:43 PM

Steel braided lines, hmmm, might be someone modified the oil cooler lines and re-routed them. Power steering lines run forward off the gearbox and don't interfere at all.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:26 PM

Well its fixed!

So i replaced the plug, nothing changed. Replaced the wire, nothing changed. So when i was back wiggling the plug wires by the distributor i put my hand on the connector for the spider and it started running fine, so i wiggled it and it died. So i was looking at it and i guess the new spider doesnt sit up high enough for the clips on the connector to lock in they just hit the intake. So i trimmed the clips so they would fit in between the intake and the spider and they slid right on and locked. Started it up and it ran perfect. I guess the connection for injector #3 wasnt being made so it wasnt squirting gas.

Thats something to note for anyone replacing the spider assembly. Make sure that connector locks in.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:04 PM
spittybays

Good deal...

Old 05-18-2012, 09:57 PM

Glad you found it. Good piece of investigating. Did you oil the O ring on the injector housing before installing the plenum? If not, the injector housing may not be completely seated in & sealed to the plenum. It may also have something to do with why the connector didn't latch. You can unplug the connector and tug up on the housing to make sure it's seated, (no need to remove the plenum). The pins in the housing are very fragile and bend easily; be careful when connecting and disconnecting the harness connector.

Quick Reply: P0303!! :(