2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P0420 code

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 04:33 PM
vadatara2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had one on my 04 for a couple of years. No SES, runs great, good gas mileage. I changed the Cat, all 02 sensors, nothing I did would repair it. Gave up.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:50 AM
Beginning Member
Skyray is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that bit of encouragement!!! I ordered two ready made spacers/extenders just yesterday,should be here about Wednesday,...just went and bought also a special split socket for the 02 removals....I have seen more positive results on most forums than negative....so I deceided to give them a try,what the hell?????My engine 4.3 '03 runs as smooth as a clock otherwise....i will post results after running them for awhile.....thanks all for your input,positive or negative.........

Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are dead set on running the spacer, use it in the downstream (post-cat) location only. Putting it on one of the upstream sensors will cause it to not read the oxygen content of the exhaust properly, thereby causing fuel delivery issues and more problems.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Ditto! X2

Old 01-14-2014, 03:49 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by vadatara2
I have had one on my 04 for a couple of years. No SES, runs great, good gas mileage. I changed the Cat, all 02 sensors, nothing I did would repair it. Gave up.

Did you put it in the up stream(front of cat) or dowm stream(after cat) 02 sensor??

Old 02-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Beginning Member
Default Update!

Originally Posted by Skyray
Did you put it in the up stream(front of cat) or dowm stream(after cat) 02 sensor??
I put one downstream a couple weeks ago.....so far no check engine light(PO420)...so time will tell I guess???

Old 09-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Starting Member
TonyZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy

So it's fixed then?? The PO420 code never came back???

I gotta know. I just posted a thread asking about this. And if Methyl Hydrate can throw that P0420. I failed Aircare, AFTER a new bloody cat, and both sensors. So I'm only allowed to buy day insurance now. I'm screwed. My bus commute to work will be 1hr 45min. Lord save me.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:05 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

When they do the aircare test, do they check emissions at the pipe or plug into your computer? If they plug into your computer, even if the check light has been cleared it will take about 100 miles of driving like I said in your other post to clear it from your computer. Its called a hard code

Old 09-14-2014, 11:54 AM
burned is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TonyZR2
So it's fixed then?? The PO420 code never came back???

I gotta know. I just posted a thread asking about this. And if Methyl Hydrate can throw that P0420. I failed Aircare, AFTER a new bloody cat, and both sensors. So I'm only allowed to buy day insurance now. I'm screwed. My bus commute to work will be 1hr 45min. Lord save me.
Lordco has those non foulers in the Help Section.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Starting Member
TonyZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info, guys. Still hoping someone can tell me if it could be the Methyl Hydrate causing the P0420.

And I did pick up an Innova 3040 scan tool. So I'm liking that so far. Erased the code, and it came back as soon as it did the "C" test (catalyst), in about 6km.

So the specific type of Plug Non-Foulers is just the 18mm size? For an 02' Blazer ZR2.

If anyone can tell me all tools I'll need to do this, thanks again.

Quick Reply: P0420 code