2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

p1860 problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:21 AM
skunk#1 is on a distinguished road

Hello,
the 2000 blazer 150,000 miles has had the code for 2 years, just started running bad in the mornings to work,(moisture?)
turns over great, as gas is applied... stutters, afternoons problem kinda goes away
Would like to buy part and have installed if possible, any help would be appreciated
what exactly, is the solenoid I might replace called?
read some posts saying might be ignition switch, is this a good place to start?
wondering best way to handle fixing my problem.
The last guy i took the blazer to charged me $200 to change the ignition wires, which didn't fix problem...can't afford to get yanked around again
should i ask someone at Autozone to recommend someone?
Should i be asking to have the ignition switch checked, or say "I would like a TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit diagnosis"?
any help would be appreciated...
tnx
paul

Old 07-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt that the P1860 code has anything to do with the poor performance in the morning. The latter sounds like ignition system problems (plugs, wires, cap, & rotor). If you didn't have AC Delco parts installed, that could be the source or contributing factor to that problem.

For the P1860 problem, you need to work through the trouble shooting chart. It will lead you to the root cause of the problem. If you have questions on particular steps, let us know.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 PM

thanks for your help Swartlkk,
Nice to have some direction, so I had cap/rotor changed for $130 say 3 months ago, solved a "misfire" problem which was pretty severe,
everything was fine for about a month then, stuttering when RPM gets up to 2000,so I take back to the same shop and they charge me $200 to change "ignition wires", drive outta shop (afternoon) works fine (the fact that I paid $330 dollars for half a tune up is not lost on me)
next morning same problem, wary of going back to this shop i ask the guys at autozone, they recommend i change spark plugs, so i do this on my own...problem still there
Now the problem seems to be carring over into the afternoon drive home
Just not sure what should do next, leaning towards asking autozone guys to recomend mechanic
could this be the igniton switch? i checked fuses 11 & 24 both good ( i did notice a wire stuck into #11 figured this was from audio amp that has been blown for 6 months now) also i have had a feedback ringing in the radio for a few years,(loose ground?) wondering if this could have been associated
thanks again for any insight...

Old 07-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Considering that a full tune up consists of plugs, wires, cap, & rotor...you still haven't gotten a full tune up. From the sounds of it, you have paid a premium for the work and been fed crappy aftermarket parts that are likely marginal on quality. Total from RockAuto is $111 not including the shipping & handling (see the attachment).

Rather than waste money on shady mechanics, why not buy some tools and work through the problems yourself? Even a $20-$30 multimeter from Wal-mart can be used to run through the ignition switch wiring as described in the link in my signature below.

Attached Thumbnails p1860 problem-rockauto_2000_blazer_tuneup.jpg  
Old 07-09-2012, 07:45 PM

hey,
so i just found out about this thing called a "coil". i drove 30 miles to a shop recommended from a friend, and of course blazer decided to run perfect on the way over there. but they recommended i change the "coil" so i went to Napa and did it myself!
It was awesome, I didn't even know what or where this little sucker was, but the guy at Napa went out to my blazer and pointed at it and gave me a little encouragement.
Still not sure if this will fix my problem, but tomorrow morning we'll see.
I have laid off the reefer the past few days and have found I have a lot more confidence when I'm not stoned, automotive work can be daunting when your brain is a bowl of mashed potatoes. They woulda charged me $60 in labor to unscrew a few bolts.
anyway, feels cool to have accomplished something even if it dosen't fix my problem.