2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Engine ticking problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Chadoo951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine ticking problem?

Hey guys. On my 1999 blazer 4dr 4wd. It has this Ticking noise coming from what I think is the engine.

It wont tick immediately when you first start it in the cold morning. But then within a minute or so of being started, the ticking will begin. But really only at idle.

When I am driving around on the streets it will run as normal, but when I let off of the gas, It begins to tick, and will continue to tick at the stop light.

I am going to try and get a video of it for you guys.

But Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks!
Chad

Old 10-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a lifter isn't pumping up. Does it go away once everything is up to operating temp?

Old 10-25-2009, 05:44 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

You don't say how many miles??
Get under the hood and rev it up and see if the ticking comes and goes with the engine speed. I have seen timing chains stretch and hit the inside of the timing cover and it will sound just like a lifter. The chain kind of waves as the engine speeds up & slows down allowing the chain to hit the cover.

Put a stethescope on the valve covers. If you don't have one use a long screwdriver, extension, metal rod etc. Place one end on the valve cover and the other end on your ear. If it is a lifter it should be louder on one side.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Sounds like a lifter isn't pumping up. Does it go away once everything is up to operating temp?
No It doesnt go away at operating tempature. It will continue to do it at idle.

Originally Posted by terry s
You don't say how many miles??
Get under the hood and rev it up and see if the ticking comes and goes with the engine speed. I have seen timing chains stretch and hit the inside of the timing cover and it will sound just like a lifter. The chain kind of waves as the engine speeds up & slows down allowing the chain to hit the cover.

Put a stethescope on the valve covers. If you don't have one use a long screwdriver, extension, metal rod etc. Place one end on the valve cover and the other end on your ear. If it is a lifter it should be louder on one side.

It has 165,000 miles..

I am going to go get a video now of me reving under the engine. It will just take a while for me to upload it.

That timing chain could fit the description of the sound I am hearing.

Let me go get a video and upload it!

Old 10-25-2009, 09:46 PM

Here is the video!!

Let me know what you guys think that it is.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:01 PM

Anyone???

Old 10-25-2009, 11:05 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

sounds almost like a rod knock because it still does it while the engine is backing down to idle.. but a wiped cam lobe can sound the same...listen at the oil pan and have someone rev it up a few times.

Last edited by reelbroke2; 10-25-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

x2 on the rod knock. That doesn't sound high pitched enough to be a lifter.

And please have patience. You do not need to bump a post after a mere 1.5 hours. People will respond when they can.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:22 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Go pick up a can of 6 cyl Engine Restore in the silver can and see if that helps any.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:15 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

It is a little hard to tell the sound is consistent with a lifter or timing chain. The first thing I would do is listen to the valve covers like I suggested. If it is at the valve cover Rislone often helps if it is a sticking lifter. Other wise it could be anywhere in the valve train such as a bad rocker arm, rocker ball, broken push rod end or lifter/cam lobe issue. No additive will help any of these issues.

If you can't hear it at a valve cover take the serpentine belt off and see if you can touch the timing cover with the engine running to see if you can feel it hitting. It will be hitting on the pass side if I recall right. DON'T do this unless you are positive you won't get hurt from the cranksheft pulley.

If your engine has a nylon cam gear the teeth cam come off causing the chain to be loose and hit the cover in addition to 165,000 miles of stretch.

Quick Reply: Engine ticking problem?