2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Panic Alarm keeps Setting - Possible Causes / Solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Spinman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Panic Alarm keeps Setting - Possible Causes / Solutions?

Posting for a friends daughter, so I'm working with 3rd hand information...

They have a 2000 S10 Blazer ZR1 with the factory KeyPass Security system (and an owner installed remote start system that has been in place and working properlyfor over two years).

Recently the S10 Blazer panic alarm has stated to go off randomly. Happened again yesterdaymorning and again last night just parked in the driveway. You have to electronically unlock the doors and start the car to disable it."The remote starter system was turned off." Annoying to both the owner and the neighbors.

Any thoughts as to why the alarm system is apparently firing needlessly?

KeyFOB working improperly? Weak Battery, Panic Button Sticking?
Computer system beginning to fail?
Damaged wiring / sensor?

At a loss and don't know where to begin resolving the issue - would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions...

Thanks!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Panic Alarm keeps Setting - Possible Causes / Solutions?

It probably has to do with the Remote Start/Security system's brain. They can die/fail and do all sorts of wild things.

I doubt it has anything to do with the Passkey system...passkey is passive theft protection, so it pretty much just cuts the fuel off if the key does not match what the vehicle's brain expects.

Did you have the Remote Start professionally installed?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Even if the RS was "professionally" installed, it is likely that it was just patched in, not really connected like it should be which can cause problems.

Now, I do not think the actual RS is to blame, but rather the bypass module. The bypass is likely causing the factory alarm to trigger. Really need to know what is in there for a RS and bypass.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:30 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I was more asking because if it was professionally installed, I'd just take it back to the shop and get them to check it

Even circuit city guarantees the installation for life!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, definitely see about that. Hopefully they still know who did it!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:41 PM
djdrew010 is an unknown quantity at this point

mine did the exact same thing, and it was annoying! I hated hearing that thing in the middle of the night or getting that call when I was out with my buddies saying my alarm was going off. What I did to temp. fix this was to lock the doors as I was getting out of the truck then unlock it with the key open the door then relock it with the keep to disable any alarm that may go off. This worked great but I just annoyed with it a I reprogramed then remote and it worked with out any problem! So I would try and put a new battery and reprogram the key fob.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Spinman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input - He is going to try to reprogram the FOB with a new battery and see if that solves the problem.

I'll ask in advance - is this something that the owner can do himself? Can the FOB on a 2000 be reprogrammed with jumpers on the OBD-2 port (as my 1996 Olds can)- or is this computer theversion that requires the use of a scantool?

Any links to reprogramming instructions?

Old 08-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Administrator

keyless entry fob<< Click for reprogramming instructions

*EDIT* - Just remembered the DIY article as well:
RKE remote keyless entry fob programming info