2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

partial brake lights !!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:09 AM
sprkz is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

hey guys, new to the sight but not the trucking community. my wifes ride is a 95 2dr blazer with 4.3, the problem is when you push the brakes i am only getting one brake light and that is the drivers side, i have no brake light, turn signal on the right side and the 3rd brake light is not working also, i replaced the the brake light switch already and i have already checked the bulbs and traced all wires and fuses and all is good, i have been reading about the turn signal switch possibly being the problem, my question is exactly what all is entailed to replace the switch i have pulled the colum cover off just to peak at it and i had one connector that wasnt plugged in and couldnt tell where it went to.. any suggestions or pictures to aid in gettting this fixed..

but also when i turn the turn signal to the right, the right front turn signal works just fine and i also have running lights on the right rear light just no turn or brake

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-17-2010 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Combining Consecutive Posts - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Consecutive Posting is prohibited by the rules of the forum.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried fiddling with the hazard switch?

Also, the multifunction switch (turn signal stalk assembly) has nothing to do with the third brake light.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:33 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Have you tried fiddling with the hazard switch?

Also, the multifunction switch (turn signal stalk assembly) has nothing to do with the third brake light.
He is correct about the third brake light. I'm betting it's due to the same thing as everyone elses that goes out. There's a resistor(I think) that burns up, causing an open circuit on the led strip. You can get a replacement at the dealership, but it'll cost you some $$$$. I ended up getting one for free from a buddy in MI.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

Before you start ripping apart your truck to badly there are a couple of things to check first.

First things first. Check the CHMSL relay under the hood. This relay controls your third brake light and if it is bad it can cause some odd problems with the other lights as well. It is the same relay as both the horn and the fog lamps so it is easy to switch out to test without buying a new one. (not all years have one under the hood, a few have them under the dash and a couple don't have one at all)

Second. Do you have trailer hitch wiring on your truck? If you do then try tracing those wires as well. Shorts in trailer wiring happen a lot and are a common problem for tail light issues.

Third. Recheck all of your ground wires and bulb sockets. Try grounding your voltage tester to the chassis of the truck instead of to the ground wire to the socket. If you get power when you do that then somewhere along the line you have a bad or disconnected ground wire to your tail lights.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:02 PM
sprkz is on a distinguished road

no trailer wiring on mine, just no brake or turn,, but like i said i do have front turn.;.. i have checked the wire from the socket almost all the way to the steering colum. all still wrapped fresh in the tape and no frays or burns anywhere

Old 10-08-2010, 07:32 PM
jack.sprat is on a distinguished road

It wouldn't matter to me if the wires were wrapped or not. If you have front blinkers, and no rear blinkers and your other problems, it sounds to me like you have a broken wire somewhere....

Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The brake & rear turn signals are on a separate circuit than the front turn signals. You can most definitely have fronts without rears due to a faulty hazard or multifunction switch. And the no 3rd brake light is likely caused by the blown resistor as stated above.

Since this thread is 9 months old I doubt we will hear back from the OP though...