2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Passenger seat won't stay locked in

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:05 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Passenger seat won't stay locked in

Hello all.

My passenger seat isn't in great shape here. The (typical) seat adjust handle broke so I considered buying one of those handles that seems to take care of the issue...but I have another issue and I'm wondering if I'll end up having to replace the whole seat anyways.

I normally keep the seat adjusted all the way back since my friends are mostly tall like me. However, whenever someone is in the back seat I will keep the passenger side up a few notches to give backseat passengers some legroom.

However, when I do that, no matter where the seat is located, it seems to lock into it's spot, but then I hit the gas or brake and it just slides all the way forward or back.

Is this something anybody has seen? If so, how should I go about fixing it, or do I need a whole new seat?

[edit] I did search for this but didn't find anything where the OP came back and said any of the solutions fixed their problem... and didn't think bumping 2 year old threads would help.

Last edited by TheRandom1; 02-09-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:30 AM

OK. If I do that and take pics is that something you could confirm? I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are probably going to have to pull the seat and take a look at the lock plates & notches. It sounds like they aren't getting a chance to fully latch in for some reason.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A seat track is a seat track really (comparing manual to manual that is) so I'm sure if you took a picture showing the proper area, we could get something figured out.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:48 PM

Sounds good. It seems pretty nice outside, so I'll try and get the seat out when I get home, see what I can come up with. Thanks Swartllk!

Old 02-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Administrator

No problem. Once you get the seat out, you should be able to unbolt the seat from the seat track as well (at least I think you should be able to... Never tried it on an s-series seat).

Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Starting Member
serrasalmus is on a distinguished road

i had this problem in my first gen, took the seat out and it was a spring that was missing replaced it and it works fine now

Old 02-10-2012, 10:20 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

I have the same problem with the passenger seat on my 95, it does not lock anywhere and the passengers just go for a ride on acceleration and braking. Let me know what you find and if I can the seat pulled I will let you know what I found.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:38 AM

Havent had a chance to yank the seat out yet. My back locked up on me and it was freezing cold, so i put this on hold for a few days. Perhaps today i will get back to it... Assuming the truck isnt snowed in.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:34 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

At work we pulled the passenger seat out and found the release cable that crosses over from the outboard to the in board seat track not fully releasing the inboard mechanism due to the teeth on it were not fully engaging the teath on the track. We bent the teeth down lubed the track and rechecked operation.

Quick Reply: Passenger seat won't stay locked in