2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

PCV valve very loud

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Starting Member
Dadatone is on a distinguished road
Default PCV valve very loud

This is a bit strange (but then again, this whole experience with my new to me Blazer has been odd). One of the first items I replaced when I purchased the Blazer a month ago was the PCV valve. Now, today, after changing out my plugs to the right AC Delco brand, my PCV valve is making noise like crazy.

Now, the two can't be related, can they?

Here's a video of the valve in action.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

I'm also going to post a thread about the old plugs I just took out. Maybe there is a connection there, I don't know.

pcvclick video by tathal - Photobucket

pcvclick2 video by tathal - Photobucket

Old 08-28-2012, 08:59 PM
spittybays

There should be no relation that I know of, crumby pcv valve? It's hard to tell but on vid #3 just labled tathal think I hear a high voltage snap/tic

Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

1st (of 3) vid sounds like a normal PCV out of the valve cover.
2nd is loud & the new PCV hasn't had the chance to get "oily", so it quietens down.
If you want to check for any arcing/spark issue, grab a spray bottle with water & wait till dark or head in the garage & shut off the lights.
Run the engine & spray water from the pump bottle around while you look for arcs. That should tell you if & where you have something jumping to ground & causing a stumbling etc IF it's ignition related to the wires, plugs, dist, coil etc.

One sound I did hear seemed synchronous with timing, so that leads me to think ignition.
You're probably already combining your 2 posts in your head... plugs & this one.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:24 AM
Starting Member
red06sc is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rottidog
1st (of 3) vid sounds like a normal PCV out of the valve cover.
2nd is loud & the new PCV hasn't had the chance to get "oily", so it quietens down.
If you want to check for any arcing/spark issue, grab a spray bottle with water & wait till dark or head in the garage & shut off the lights.
Run the engine & spray water from the pump bottle around while you look for arcs. That should tell you if & where you have something jumping to ground & causing a stumbling etc IF it's ignition related to the wires, plugs, dist, coil etc.

One sound I did hear seemed synchronous with timing, so that leads me to think ignition.
You're probably already combining your 2 posts in your head... plugs & this one.
The PCV is SO loud on mine. It is still semi new on mine... how can i get that thing to quieten down quicker?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:52 AM
spittybays

Dip it in oil

Old 09-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Leme guess, it's not an AC Delco PCV valve? I've seen, (heard) it countless times with el cheapo aftermarket valves. This is another one of many parts that should only be AC Delco.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:23 AM
mrkevinmjr is on a distinguished road

get an acdelco one.... i had same issue then changed the valve with a genuine acdelco one and alls good now

Old 09-29-2012, 02:03 AM
Starting Member
red06sc is on a distinguished road

Mine is a brand new ac delco...

Old 09-29-2012, 06:07 AM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

Yep - i'm with the other guys on this one, put a proper AC Delco one in & it'll be quieter, I tried 2 aftermarket ones & they were just as noisy as the old one. Sometimes, but not always, there is a good case for fitting genuine GM spares & this is just one of them.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:32 PM
CAB
Starting Member
CAB is on a distinguished road

I bought one from autozone and it did the same thing. I replaced it with an acdelco and the problem went away.......

Quick Reply: PCV valve very loud