2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

pitman arm, idler arm, what a pain

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:22 PM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pitman arm, idler arm, what a pain

I just finished replacing the ball joints and was going to takemy 99 2wd 4dr in for an alignment when I realized that the ball joints weren't the only things that needed replacing. I know the idler arm is worn out, I haven't had the time to crawl under the truck and look at the pitman arm and the center link and tie rod ends. I'm thinking that as long as I'm replacing the idler arm I might as well replace the pitman arm because it should have the same amount of wear. What about the rest of the front end, does it have to be done as well or can I fudge a little bit and not replace the center link and tie rods.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:50 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: pitman arm, idler arm, what a pain

You can do the idler arm without any special tools. As for the pitman, you will need a pitman arm puller.Its like a gear puller.

Get the front wheels of the ground and wiggle the tire a front tire. Observe any slop in the inner tie rods. Replace as needed.

Good luck.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:16 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

I would do the Tie Rods also. Its not that much for the inner/outter and connecting sleeve.

3 days agohad to do a road side for a friend. Their outter broke free from the knuckle and almost trashed the tire and rim. Bashed things up pretty bad too with it slapping around while they tried to get it off the road with one stearing tire. Theyare going to have me rebuild the front end due to this (ball joints upper and lower, replace other side tie rods, check center link / drag link / pitman) It was a Chevy 1500 extended cab. They like to go and try drifting with this truck. They should have stayed with dirt road drifts. Some vehicals are just not made for this.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:21 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

^^^^ see? Might as well Git R done!

Old 12-16-2006, 02:32 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

And its supper easy to remove them together just need a pitman arm puller (outter)and a pickle fork w/ 3lbs sledge (inner).

If you can keep them together when removing, you can count the threads showing to match up the replacements, Less work for an alignment. Also make sure you use Anti-sez on the threads when you put them into the sleeve. You will have to do the drag link over the center link. Center link mainly only gets damaged if you bend it via off roading or getting smucked. But then again we are talking about a 99 w/ unknown history.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:08 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

also scribe the frame around the idler arm and mark the steering gear and old pitman, transfer similar mark to new pitman. this will also save u a possible alignment. everything should line up as was.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Beginning Member
mellon101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just replaced my idler arm and it was a pretty simple job.

I just backed the nut off and then smacked it with a hammer to free up the idler arm. Don't beat it too hard....don't want to bend the center link. Then the two bolts to the frame are pretty easy.

As far as the pitman arm goes....I did not replace mine, but it looks like it would be pretty difficult. The clearance between the pitman arm and the cross member does not look like nearly enough to get a pitman arm puller on it. I may be wrong...but it looks like you might have to move the whole steering assembly thing some to be able to get to it.

The tie rod ends and adjuster sleeves are very easy and not too terribly expensive ....I went ahead and changed them too. I skipped the center link and the pitman arm.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:20 PM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

sometimes with thre pitman arm u need to remove to bolts on the steering box to allow clearance for the puller. u can access thenm from the left/drivers side front wheel well

Old 12-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Rammer is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the 2wd have a joint on the pitman arm? I though the center link on the 2wd's had the joint. One joint into the pitman arm and one into the idler arm.

In my opinion, the best way to remove the pitman arm is to remove the whole steering box.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:48 AM
frankjc is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't see how on a 4wd you could get the pitman arm puller on there without taking the steering box out.

Quick Reply: pitman arm, idler arm, what a pain