2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Please help 4l60e

Old 03-30-2019, 07:10 PM
Starting Member
Roryscott is on a distinguished road
Default Please help 4l60e

1998 chevy blazer ls 209,845 miles on the clock. I got stuck in the rocky's during a blizzard plowed through 3 feet of snow for close to 1000 feet until the bank by the road was to the mirrors and got stuck for 9 hours before being rescued. Between me rocking back and forth I punched the chain in ththe transfer case through the bottom so I have a gaping hole at the bottom. I lost 3 and 4 gears 1 and 2 are fine. The question is replace transfer case or rebuild the 4l60e. I replace 1 2 and 2 3 solenoids and nothing. Is it the case causing the loss of the 3 and 4th is

Old 03-30-2019, 08:03 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Replace the transfer case it's trashed and while your at it rebuild or replace the transmission as you fried it too

Old 03-30-2019, 08:22 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the reply. I know the TC done. It had catastrophic failure. However I believe that was due to the state if the fluid. Probably super low and just failed However I guess the question being is would the failure of the TC cause transmission issues as well or just bad timing. Also the rad blew out the bottom and a tranny cooler line is now leaking. Probably from replacing the rad. 1 and 2 shift perfect and I can catch low end third or fourth from time to time. I've also read it could be related. Im broke so I'm trying to find a fix b4 I replace

Old 03-30-2019, 08:39 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

That's pretty impressive that you failed the tcase that bad. Wish I could help you with your transmission woes, but that's not my specialty.

At least the cases are really abundant in the junkyard, and they're super easy to rebuild.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:11 PM
Starting Member

Yeah I cant find anything online about having it blow. The chain was dangling for about a week before it fell out all the way. I think it was low on fluid and the 6 hours I was working and digging it out probably heated it up and I hear that these dont have much room inside to play with. Or it's my front diff maybe that locked up and caused the chain or something to get wond up and break through. I'm just trying to get it fixed without dumping 2 grand into this truck. I mean I love the thing a lot of blood has been put into it to keep her alive the past 30 grand I've had her.

The day she was recovered

Old 03-30-2019, 09:25 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I would love to see pics of the tcase carnage!

I just went through and rebuilt mine when I converted to a fixed front output. A rebuild kit is only like $70 from rock auto. I realize yours is past the point of rebuilding, but you can pick up a case in the yard for not too much. I would definitely rebuild junkyard case, though.

If you do decide to snag one and go through it, feel free to hit me up with any questions!

(this is all assuming you have an np233. Three button switch. If you have the np236, four button switch, you're on your own lol as I have no experience with those)

Old 03-30-2019, 09:37 PM
Starting Member

Yeah for sure. It's a trip. I brought this truck from Indianapolis a year ago to colorado springs and even being 8 thousand feet above sea level and me personally I've been to 13000 ft with the truck and she does great. I punched the cat and removed that stupid plate off the throttle body plate and I'll tell you even with a blown tcase and probably fried clutches she still will make you think twice. I've not had any warning on the tranny until a week after my t case blew and the gears were just gone. It's like I'm doing 45 bam I'm in neutral redlining damn near.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:15 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Good news you made it off the mountain alive and the blazer is out of the drift.
1ST Bad news is you prob. broke the transfer case chain and when it wadded up it blew thu the case { been there done that }
2ND Bad news there is nothing in the transfer case that would stop just the 3rd & 4th gear from working so you more than likely took out the 3rd & 4TH gear clutches.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:17 AM
Starting Member

Vss maybe tcm connection ?

Old 03-31-2019, 12:20 AM
Starting Member

I might not have quite enough clearance but I surely had the power

Originally Posted by cleburne red
I would love to see pics of the tcase carnage!

I just went through and rebuilt mine when I converted to a fixed front output. A rebuild kit is only like $70 from rock auto. I realize yours is past the point of rebuilding, but you can pick up a case in the yard for not too much. I would definitely rebuild junkyard case, though.

If you do decide to snag one and go through it, feel free to hit me up with any questions!

(this is all assuming you have an np233. Three button switch. If you have the np236, four button switch, you're on your own lol as I have no experience with those)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please help 4l60e