2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Please Help - Here's everything I have --

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:51 PM
MilwaukeeBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default Please Help - Here's everything I have --

Its a 1995 Blazer engine code W. No start after warm up except with starting fluid. I have a new fuel pump and filter and carries 62 psi at starting and runs regularly at about 58 to 59 psi and doesn't drop off after warm up. Fuel pressure regulator working correctly, new coil and ignition module (the one on the side of the coil on a heat sink) and both the old ones were faulty. Was jerking and hesitating until I cleaned the EGR valve today with with Seafoam and replaced gasket. But I still have this problem that the engine starts running eratically and then dies rather quickly afterward. It will only start up right after that with starting fluid. And I'm pretty sure it still does the same even when cold overnight. Please no guessing, I checked the codes with a OBD II scanner and had a P1351. If this is some kind of common problem with thes 95's, please let me know.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:20 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Have you taken a look through this thread: https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...ighlight=p1351

It will explain the code your truck is throwing. It's a good place to start.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the charts for this code on your truck:

Check for:
- Poor connection or damaged harness - Inspect the PCM harness connectors for backed out terminals "GR9" and "BK18", improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, poor terminal to wire connection and damaged harness.
- Intermittent test - If connections and harness check OK, monitor a digital volt meter connected between PCM terminals "GR9" and "BK19" while moving related connectors and wiring harnesses. If the failure is induced, the voltage reading will change. This may help isolate the location of the malfunction.

GR9 is the 9th pin on the gray connector to the PCM. BK19 is the 19th pin on the black connector to the PCM.

I'll leave the guessing up to you. Seriously... Why would you say such a thing? That just inspires people to stop and take the time to help you...

Old 12-03-2009, 10:54 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean any harm by the no guessing. I have read some other replies to other threads with similar problems and I was just trying to eliminate too many replies that have 'suggestions' on what to try. I work about 10 to 12 hours a day and lately about 3 to 5 more just on getting this Blazer back on the road again and running correctly. The problems that this thing is capable of producing or already has makes any of the three Buick Grand Nationals I used to own and race seem like a tropical vacation in middle of a Midwestern Winter. I bought this Blazer cheap for my winter transportation. I have owned many others over the years ranging from mid 70's K5's to 93 & 94 Full Size and a few other S10 Blazers. This one has been the most tempermental. I will hopefully have the time tomorrow to review and test according to the charts for the P1351 code. Thank You very much.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahh, The K5 days. Carburetors...gosh how I miss the simplicity and reliability of no Sensors.
Actually, most of my cars are from that '70's era. They just keep running and if not, they let you know they are getting sick, they don't just die.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Default I did all the testing (for the P1351 code) and......

... after it is shut off and don't start. It has no voltage at the 'B' terminal for the Ign. Cont. Mod. plug, but has the good continuity between the GR9 and that same B terminal. In other words no 1 to 4 volts coming out of the computer while cranking the starter. Does these computers have the quad drivers for the CPI injection? Is it possible that the injector is causing the computer to warm up and quit?

Old 12-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have narrowed it down to the faulty PCM connector or faulty PCM.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe a Crank positioning sensor that is failing from heat and shutting down the module.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Default Do both types of ignition systems on...........

......on these this year have a CPS?. Or a pickup coil? I'm trying to finish this thing up today later and I'm trying to get what I need. So far: fuel pump was low on pressure - REPLACED with new. Ignition Control Module tested faulty - REPLACED with new. Igintion coil had no secondary resistance only after running it about 5 to 10 minutes - REPLACED with new.Tested everything according to the P1351 code fault and have no cranking voltage at the PCM terminal GR9 (goes to the white wire terminal or 'B') afte it runs and then dies or after unning for about 10 minutes and shut off and then tried to restart.
I do not have anymore money left to buy parts that Might be the problem. Is there any more tests that can be done to determine what is the Cause of this? If I had about another $1000 to burn I would just replace the remain suspected items - CPI injector, PCM, pick up coil or CPS. And while I'm spending money that I don't have a throttle position sensor and a new EGR valve too.

Last edited by MilwaukeeBlazer; 12-04-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Default As of tonight...

It now has a new PCM and a new CPS. Any smart or experienced people out there want to try to explain to me why it doesn't start when warm on its own with 62 psi of fuel pressure, no voltage at that white terminal (GR9) or the white one on the ICM plug when its turning over, but it fires right up with starting fluid.

Quick Reply: Please Help - Here's everything I have --