2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Turns over but won't start, maybe fuel pump? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:11 AM
alexedge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Turns over but won't start, maybe fuel pump? Help!

New member here hoping all you experienced blazer owners can help me out. I have a 1999 2wd with the 4.3l motor. Last night I picked my buddy up at work, car started fine when we were leaving. Drove to his house about two minutes away and went inside for ten minutes. Came back out to leave and tried to start the car, but nothing happened. It just cranks and cranks but never catches.

We were thinking it might be the fuel pump, because when I turn the key to the on position, I can't hear that whine that the fuel pump normally makes when it first kicks in. We tried to check the fuel pump relay in the under-dash fuse box, if you put your fingers on it while someone turns the key on it makes a little 'click'.

Is there another fuse for the pump somewhere? I didn't see it on the underdash diagram, and the in-car fusebox is missing the lid with the diagram on it so I couldn't check that.

Is there anything else I should check that could cause this problem?

Also if you think it's the fuel pump, how much is a new one and how hard is it to install? I got laid off from my job two months ago and have been using the blazer to drive around job hunting, so not having a car really screws me. Also I am really low on cash right now, not sure if I can afford a new pump...

Old 04-06-2008, 12:51 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Turns over but won't start, maybe fuel pump? Help!

If you have a fuel pump pressure tester you could hook it up and check for 60psi.
Or
Have someone crank the engine over and at the same time give the fuel tank a few sharp hits with a rubber mallet or a block of wood. Not hard enough to dent the tank, just hard enough to give the fuel pump a jolt.
If it starts, save up your money for a fuel pump.