2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Poor Blazer. 4x4, Cruise Control & ABS all broken :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:14 PM
CompTechMike is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Poor Blazer. 4x4, Cruise Control & ABS all broken :(

Like the subject says. 167,000 miles, 2001 S10 Blazer, and things are breaking faster than I can replace them. Just replaced the front hubs & rotors, and pads all the way around, last weekend, hoping that getting in there & cleaning stuff (and the new wheel speed sensors) would fix my ABS light & brake light being on, but no love. Guess it's my ABS computer (BCIM, or whatever it's called) that's gone out, and that's like a $500 part, unless anyone has any ideas? I've already tried tightening the grounds on the firewall. ABS & brake light stay on constantly.

But on the bigger subject, my 4x4 & Cruise Control both stopped working simultaneously. I'm getting the following codes:

P0128 - coolant temp below thermostat regulating temp. - Believe I solved this one, just put in a new thermostat a few days ago.
P0301 - cylinder 1 misfire. - This might've been a fluke, only saw it once.
P0410 - secondary air injection system. - I believe this is my smog pump???
P0442 - EVAP system leak (small). - Already replaced the gas cap, and I had to replace the damn fuel pump a couple months ago, but think everything's tight around there, now.

***Now here's what I suspect*** - disregarding the ABS for the moment, I think I've got a vacuum leak somewhere, that's causing that P0442 code. Also, since both the 4x4 & Cruise Control systems operate off engine vacuum, could these things be related? Where would I start looking?

As a side note, one of my high beam headlights also doesn't work. Comes on as a DRL, but when I click high beams on, voltage at the wire drops to 0.3 volts. For a while none of my headlights would work, I re-tightened all the grounds around the radiator mount, replaced the multifunction switch, and replaced the fuse/relay box underneath the dashboard, and that "mostly" fixed this, LOL.

But what about that vacuum modulator thingy, underneath the battery? What's that do? Could it be the culprit of my vacuum leak, causing my 4x4 & Cruise to not work? What's it called, and how much $ to replace?

Any other suggestions?

Inspection at the end of the month, and I haven't even mentioned the bad bushings, tie rods getting loose, rusty shocks, or leaky oil cooler lines yet. Ugh!

At least this video I made is rather amusing. Damn thing sounded like an angry alligator, at 60 mph. :-p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAcr3-L6rGI