2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Power Locks

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 06:41 PM
MDTjettaguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Power Locks

I have a 97 Blazer. When I first bought the truck the power locks worked fine. Then one day my power locks didn't work. I push the button and nothing happens. Try using the key in the back lock and nothing. So I went to check the fuses and the one (silver fuse) was really hot. I burned my finger. So I pulled it out. I noticed it was a 30A and the slot was supposed to be for 20A.

Once it was cold I reinserted it and my locks would work fine. But if I turned the truck on it would get incredibly hot instantly. If I pull it out and put it in when the trucks not on the power locks work on all the doors and the back hatch. Has anyone had this happen to them or know how I can fix it.

Side note... anyone know where I can get a keyless remote for less than the $75 the dealer wants to charge me. The guy I bought it from had lost it. thanks!!

Old 10-30-2006, 08:40 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Power Locks

for the remote, try eBay. for the locks, well You will get the help you need around here.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Boosted95PGT is an unknown quantity at this point

why dont you just put a 20A in, if it blows then you probably have a short somewhere hence why previous owner put a 30 in to prevent it from blowing so fast

Old 10-31-2006, 01:16 PM
MDTjettaguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so when I put in a 20A circuit breaker how do I go about finding the short. I really can't afford to pay a mechanic for multple hours of investigative work only to be told that they can't find the problem.

BTW there are no add-on's. It still has a stock radio.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:42 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: MDTjettaguy

Ok so when I put in a 20A circuit breaker how do I go about finding the short. I really can't afford to pay a mechanic for multple hours of investigative work only to be told that they can't find the problem.
That's why I'm here ........LOLOLOL

I would assume that you have power seats or at least a power driver's seat.........Check the wires for the seats just behind the switches where they pass by the seat frame to the switches....very commonly shorted to the stamped steel seat frame in this area....you can verify which one by disconnecting the electrical connector (comming out of the carpet under each seat)for each seat 1-by-1 and if the breaker cools off (give it several seconds to a couple minutes to do so)with one of them disconnected then your short-to-ground is in that seat. Let me know what you find please.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:03 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

I will have to check this issue on mine. My driver seat does not work (power options), and my door locks work to lock but not unlock.

Guess it pays to check out new threads that might be simular issues.

(my post: https://blazerforum.com/m_45169/tm.htm)

Old 12-28-2007, 08:40 PM
stagmie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey MDTjettaguy, I'm having the same problem on my 1993 4 door Blazer S-10. That is supposed to be a 30 amp breaker, at least according to my owners manual and the Haynes Manual I bought for it. That breaker handles the power door locks (as you already know), the power drivers seat, the rear window latch and the transfer case for the 4X4. The other day the Blazer got stuck in 4 Wheel Hi. I unpluged the breaker, let it cool, then put it back in and got the truck out of 4wheel drive. But, I still haven't found the cause of the problem.

Did you ever find what the cause of the short was??????

Old 12-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is a bit old... Don't know how much help is going to be available here...