2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Removed batt terminal - Now won't start

Old 04-24-2008, 11:48 AM
TT
Beginning Member
TT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Removed batt terminal - Now won't start

I've got a 96 Jimmy 4.3L. Service engine light came on, Autozone tells me it a knock sensor. Appearently, thats a $50 part in a $500 place.

Anyway, I tried to reset the service light/code by removing the Neg terminal from the battery. I need an emission test and was hoping that I could keep that service light off long enough to get through emissions. After I replaced the battery terminal, the dash light is flashing and I get nothing when I turn the key.

I tried jumping it and no change, so its not the battery. I removed both battery cables and no change after replacing them.

I'm sure unrelated, but I set the code for the radio just to be sure I wouldn't have it inoperable after removing the battery cable. The radio reset fine afterwards.

What do you think?

Tom

Old 04-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Removed batt terminal - Now won't start

First off, it doesn't work to reset the light right before an emissions test... Most emissions facilities will hook up to the computer and check the system readiness monitors. If you reset the PCM, you have switched all of these systems to a not-ready state. It will fail you where I come from, but most shops will give you a set of instructions on what to do over the next few drive cycles to complete all of the checks necessary for the monitors to become ready.

On the initial problem, I really need the code to be able to help you with your situation. Without the code, no one can say for sure what the problem is.

On the no-start condition... Well, have you checked, cleaned, retightened your cables?

Old 04-24-2008, 04:34 PM
TT
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply. I did clean the terminals while they were off. I wasn't able to borrow a code reader from Autozone to get the codes.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:49 AM
TT
Beginning Member

It was an aftermarket alarm. There are some wires that have to be flopped out from under the dash that have a reset button.

I know that this isn't going to help many, but everyone should try to disclose the ultimate outcome. I'm sure many of you have read threads that seemedsimilar toyourproblem, and they never tell you how it ended up. If you get help in solving your problem,please take the time for one more post that may help others.