2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:48 PM
C Craft is on a distinguished road
Default power steering pump

OK, so my 95 Blazer LT has had a power steering leak since I inherited it about 2 yrs. ago! After having a fuel pump go out and replacing an alternator I figured it was time while I was into the alternator to go on and replace the PS pump. Especially since I could fill it and only go a few miles and it would be total drained. OK so that is most of the history on this ole gal.

However I can't seem to stop the leak. After putting the new pump on I got a leak on the High Pressure line. So I drain the pump and pull the HP line and replace the O-ring.

Well as you all know a PS pump turns into a fluid bath with the fan and the belts right there so I took it too the local car wash and pressure washed under the hood.

Today I am driving it and I get this feeling I got no power steering fluid. So I pull over and sure enough its near empty. I filled it up and came home, pulled it up on the concrete to see if I can tell where it is leaking.

Once switched off it dripped about five spots in just about the shape of the HP line. So since it didn't continue to drip I feel that means it has to be on the HP line, otherwise it would have continued to drip!

It may be the hose itself but once it leaks the fluid is everywhere and it is almost impossible to locate the origin of the leak!

I suppose it could be still leaking at the O-ring but that was a new O-ring and it was suppose to be the right size!!!

So anyone got any ideas here????
I am about to get tired of licking this ole gal one more time.
Is there anyway to verify its the hose or the connection??? Open for suggestions here!!!!

I may have posted this in the wrong section if it needs to be moved feel free to move it!

Last edited by C Craft; 05-02-2014 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Not sure this is the right section
Old 05-02-2014, 08:56 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

uh....could be the casting of the line thats failing? simply put...

buy new line...no aftermarket junk...replace....it leaks? replace pump....

simple..

Old 05-02-2014, 10:47 PM

Yes it could be the casting of the HP line. I may have not made myself clear the the PS pump is brand new.

I am assuming the leak is on the line but not sure it is the line itself or where it connects to the pump!

Just checked a replacement hose is right at $20.00 so if I can't see anything tomorrow that blows up my skirt I throw a new line at it, with new O-rings of course!

Old 05-03-2014, 06:35 PM

OK new update pulled the HP line and put a new one it today and I finally got the leak stopped on the PS!

Also on a side note I cleaned all the PS fluid by de-greassing underneath and from above with Purple Power, and then washing. Also while at it I decided to clean the front mags of all the brake dust. I put some wheel cleaner on it and it began to move. Scrubbed the rims with a scrub brush and more rim cleaner. All and all, about 4 applications and rinses. I came in a watched the race and took me a nap. When I went out and drove the beast. No leaks and the damn ABS light that has been on for a while went out and this time it didn't come back!

Conclusion: I got the leak stopped and cleaned the ABS sensor while washing the power steering fluid off, or while washing the rims I cleaned up the sensor and it is now sending a signal. Personally I tend to think it may have been the later, washing the rims, that cleaned up the sensor, anyway now it is working!

I know I know never suppose to wash anything, it is sure to blow up now!!!! The ole gal ought to be good for another 50K!