2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Power Window Regulator Rollers

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 05:05 PM
Starting Member
Eric Harline is on a distinguished road
Default Power Window Regulator Rollers

Really hoping this isn't a repeat post, but my power window regulator rollers (the small plastic bits) have broken and my window is no longer connected to the regulator. The old rollers were riveted to the regulator arms and the pieces I purchased from O'Reilly have three different connection types that are really making the whole process a lot more confusing. I'm putting in pictures of one of the connections that's missing, one that might need replacing, and the rollers that I bought. I'm very new to car maintenance so I apologize for my complete inability to properly explain whats going on.

Three different things that I have no idea what to make of came in the package I bought. Yeah, no idea what to make of them. Stared at this picture for 2 whole *** minutes and still don't have a clue.

This is the riveted arm. The roller sits on the opposite side of the arm and is housed in the track along the bottom of the window

This one is working fine, but if I should/can easily replace it, I will happily do so

I just bought this 95 Blazer last August and it runs like a dream. There is no issue with the actually window regulator and the arms seem to be in good shape. The rollers on the track attached to the bottom of the window broke on account of cold weather (maybe?). The videos I've watched and directions I've read are pointing me in the direction of having to remove the regulator entirely from the door and drilling out the old rivets. Which I don't want to do because I'm lazy and I'm inexperienced and I don't want to mess up the door because of it.

So. If anybody has dealt with this problem before or knows how to take care of it, I would be grateful as hell to hear about it because its starting to get hot and I love driving with the windows down blaring Country Roads by John Denver. Much appreciated blazer fam

Old 04-25-2019, 07:58 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Either way you have to drill out the rivet of the old one that broke off. Were it me in your position, I would drill it out with a large enough hole and use the one that bolts on. Put some red loc-tite on the threads and bolt and tighten it down and roll with it (no pun intended)

I used the same exact kit there with with that exact process I described with great success on my neice's 98 Saturn back windows

Old 04-26-2019, 02:58 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
Either way you have to drill out the rivet of the old one that broke off. Were it me in your position, I would drill it out with a large enough hole and use the one that bolts on. Put some red loc-tite on the threads and bolt and tighten it down and roll with it (no pun intended)

I used the same exact kit there with with that exact process I described with great success on my neice's 98 Saturn back windows
Did you remove the regulator or just drill them out and tighten them on while it was still in the door?

Old 04-26-2019, 08:41 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

As long as you have access, do it while it's in the door. The regulator is riveted to the door, so you'd have to drill those out too and then bolt them back in. No use causing yourself more work

If you unbolt the window track with the rubber felt in it that the window slides though and remove the rubber trim, you can actually fiddle with and get the window out without actually removing the regulator. I change both of my front windows to tinted glasses this way, bolt in window tint

Old 04-26-2019, 08:53 PM
Starting Member

Many thanks my dude, I feel a lot better about this now!