2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Power Window Won't Close in Cold or Rainy Weather (1998 Blazer))

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Beginning Member
jprife is on a distinguished road
Default Power Window Won't Close in Cold or Rainy Weather (1998 Blazer))

I've got a weird problem with my driver's side power window in our 1998 Blazer LE. In cold or rainy weather, typically under 50 degrees, we can lower the window but can't get it back up using the switch. During warmer dry weather, it works fine. We've pulled the switch assembly and cleaned the contacts, but that was not the problem.

My wife has been caught a couple of times with it getting stuck while down as she's going through fast food drive-thrus on cold, wet days. Needless to say, when she's not happy, she likes to share her general unhappiness with me.

Any ideas about what is going on here?

Old 02-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The "express down" feature uses a self resetting circuit breaker, (part of the switch), to remove voltage from the window motor. When the window reaches the bottom of its travel, amperage draw from the motor increases and trips the breaker. It usually takes ~5 seconds for the breaker to reset. Once it resets, normal power window functions are restored. If the glass binds in the tracks, or the motor has excessive current draw, or the breaker is weak, it can trip early, or it may take longer than 5 seconds for the breaker to reset. You can check for excessive current draw at the motor, (requires a DVOM with amperage testing capabilities) to determine what the problem is. An "educated guess" would be that the switch needs replacement.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:42 AM
Beginning Member
jprife is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The "express down" feature uses a self resetting circuit breaker, (part of the switch), to remove voltage from the window motor. When the window reaches the bottom of its travel, amperage draw from the motor increases and trips the breaker. It usually takes ~5 seconds for the breaker to reset. Once it resets, normal power window functions are restored. If the glass binds in the tracks, or the motor has excessive current draw, or the breaker is weak, it can trip early, or it may take longer than 5 seconds for the breaker to reset. You can check for excessive current draw at the motor, (requires a DVOM with amperage testing capabilities) to determine what the problem is. An "educated guess" would be that the switch needs replacement.
Thanks for the quick reply, Cap! I"ll check this out and get back to you here.

Just curious....why would cold, wet weather affect this circuit breaker?

Old 02-10-2014, 06:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect it isn't the weather affecting the circuit breaker as much as it is affecting the resistance between the window and the guides (channels or tracks). The harder it is for the window to travel in the tracks, the higher the current draw.