2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Powered Lumbar Seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Beginning Member
paulf707 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Powered Lumbar Seats

Hi all

I've got a 1999 UK Blazer

Two part question...

Firstly, the switchesfor my powered Lumbar adjusters won't clip into place. When you try to press them they just drop back into the seat. Is it likely that some plastic mounting has broken, or could it be something else? I've managed to stuff some foam up behind the switches for now, so they stay roughly in place (so you can adjust them)

Secondly, the powered lumbar adjusters weren't working when I got the blazer. Looking through the manual I couldn't find details of a fuse relating to the lumbars, but I found the fuse for the heated seats (and the buttons are part of the same switch unit, so I guessed they could be linked). Looking in the fuse box, the fuse for the heated seats had been removed. I put one back in and the lumbars started working.
What size fuse should I have in there? I put a 20amp one in (I guessed that the heaters would pull a fairly high current) - is this about right?
Also, it seems that the lumbars work all the time, without the key in the ignition. I'm not just talking about the retained accesory power thingy (where things stay on for a couple of minutes after you switch off) - they keep working even when the radio and everything else has shut down. I'm guessing this means that the heated seats probably work all the time as well. Is this nomal? Does this mean that if the heated seats were left on, they could drain the battery?? (this could explain why the fuse had been removed?)

Any ideas / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Powered Lumbar Seats

On the switches, IIRC, the clips are part of the trim plate on the side of the seat. If the switches are just floating around, then something is mostlikely broken on this trim plate. It should not be all that difficult to remove the plate and check for broken clips.

On the seat adjustments... I believe they are supposed to work all the time, however, the heated seat switch is powered with CRUISE fuse that is HOT in Run. The heated seat module is powered by the HTD SEAT fuse (20A) in the underhood fuse box, but controlled by the switch. If the switch doesn't have power, then the heaters will not as well.

One weird thing that I just noticed when looking at the lumbar wiring schematics... The LH Lumbar is powered through the POWER SEATS circuit breaker (25A) in the Body Relay Block while the RH Lumbar is powered through the HTD SEAT fuse (20A) in the underhood fuse box... That is odd.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:57 AM
Beginning Member
paulf707 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, it's good to know that if I leave the heated seats on by accident, I won't come back to a flat battery !!!

Cheers

Old 05-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I've done it numerous times... Never fails to need them on a cold morning and jump in to come home for lunch with it being 70+ outside and start gettin' a hot seat! LOL