2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Pre-rain/Rain = Truck runs amazing!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Pre-rain/Rain = Truck runs amazing!

Has anyone else had this? It's like whenever it rains or is very humid outside, my truck runs like a dream. It idles better, more torque and the HP increase is crazy! I mean, really... it runs like a scolded dog in these conditions!

Has anyone ever done a test on this regarding motors? Not just 4.3's but ALL motors. I'm wondering if dry air causes a truck to not run as good as humid (wet'ish) air? Like is there a scientific fact on this type of thing?

I just figured this would be a good topic if anyone else has experienced the same thing. Maybe it could just be the atmosphere and my head playing tricks on me about having more power and/or a smoother running vehicle. But it's always been like this with EVERY vehicle I've owned. (Which I've driven 14+ from a 89 GTI to my Blazer to a 1999 BMW 528i)

If THIS IS indeed a fact, then I wonder why a company hasn't come up with a device to humidify the air that your engine breathes? This is not a joke, I'm being serious... it truly seems legitimate and I'd love to do some kind of onboard diagnostic, during both conditions, to see the difference! (If any)

So anyone?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

Water/meth injection........cools the intake air temp, and creates higher compression in the cylinders IIRC.

As far as the more humid runs better thing, never experienced it really...but i could see how it's SORTA possible considering the water/meth injection theory.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Starting Member

Water/meth injection huh? Never heard of that? Do you have a link to such a thing, preferably for our trucks? I'd like to do some research on this.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

Here's a video i found. I didn't really watch it cause my girl was giving me funny looks.

[youtube]HkPFZWd8wj4[/youtube]

it's typically used in forced induction vehicles. I don't have more info because i've never used it. Just basically telling you what i've heard.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Starting Member

I got you... yea, it looks like it's simply for forced induction. Hmmm.... I wonder if there's a way to test my theory and then develop some type of system to keep the air humid going into the motor? This water/meth thing almost seems to me like a cheap shot of Nitrous or something...

Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Starting Member

I would really like to fabricate something that sprays some sort of "mist" of pure H20 into the intake filter (or general area). After some research it seems that the reason it runs better is due to cleaning deposits in your engine and so forth. I wonder if their is a way to create something that creates humidity into your intake or general area? (and no I'm not talking about a straight shot of water into the throttle body) just a MIST. Possibly it could be ran off of a vacuum line for its power source so that it consistently runs when the vehicle is running? This could work, but I would like to do a general test of MPG and HP while in DRY air conditions, as well as HUMID conditions.... see if it would even be worth the hassle. I SWEAR all of my vehicles run better in humid weather, and I've never owned a vehicle without having installed a "cone" type filter.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

You could just get some windshield washer hose and drain and wash out your washer resevoir. Then you could run a switch to the washer pump with constant power, so that when the switch is on the pump would be on. Then you just run the hose to your intake or wherever you decide is the best place for it. Just fill the washer resevoir with water and add a mister from homedepot and you're set.

That would be one of the easier ways to do it, and you would be able to turn it off if your truck starts running strange/bad.

Just an idea.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Starting Member
red06sc is on a distinguished road

i have water/meth injection on my supercharged cobalt, its a very nice thing to have. they do have kits for N/A cars/trucks.

However, i know on my cobalt, my tuner will add timing and whatnot, so without a tune i dont see much of a gain. Theres more to it then spraying water in the intake. I also know with the tune on my car if it runs out of fluid, theres a good chance the motor will blow.

Last edited by red06sc; 09-22-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Raybz is on a distinguished road

I had a water injector in my 74 Duster when I was in High School. It was a pretty simple An Atomizing nozzle tapped into the top of the air cleaner, a high PSI pump and a container for the water. I used about a gallon per tank full.

Why it works is multi part

Because water doesn't burn . . . the fluid does (in effect) raise the octane of the fuel!This higher "flash point" produces three specific benefits ( as well as some offshoots). First, because the water cools the gas-air mixture, there is greater potential for expansion (since pressure is directly proportional to temperature). Second, combustion turns the water droplets to vapor . . . which also helps create a pressure bonus ( much as the same substance drives a steam engine).
Finally—and most significantly—the conversion of water to steam consumes heat (at a rate of about 1,100 calories per gram of the liquid) at a very critical instant. This absorption of heat prevents the temperature of combustion from rushing to a sharp peak (as it does in a standard engine) and then dropping rapidly off. Instead, the car's heat increases more slowly, reaches a lower peak, and descends much more gradually. (In addition, the longer overall combustion duration creates more pressure than does a standard engine's cycle.)

Old 09-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Raybz
I had a water injector in my 74 Duster when I was in High School. It was a pretty simple An Atomizing nozzle tapped into the top of the air cleaner, a high PSI pump and a container for the water. I used about a gallon per tank full.

Why it works is multi part

Because water doesn't burn . . . the fluid does (in effect) raise the octane of the fuel!This higher "flash point" produces three specific benefits ( as well as some offshoots). First, because the water cools the gas-air mixture, there is greater potential for expansion (since pressure is directly proportional to temperature). Second, combustion turns the water droplets to vapor . . . which also helps create a pressure bonus ( much as the same substance drives a steam engine).
Finally—and most significantly—the conversion of water to steam consumes heat (at a rate of about 1,100 calories per gram of the liquid) at a very critical instant. This absorption of heat prevents the temperature of combustion from rushing to a sharp peak (as it does in a standard engine) and then dropping rapidly off. Instead, the car's heat increases more slowly, reaches a lower peak, and descends much more gradually. (In addition, the longer overall combustion duration creates more pressure than does a standard engine's cycle.)
Sounds like you know what you're talking about! I think I'm going to fabricate something up using vacuum as my power source (therefor whenever the truck is running, the water will be too - and possibly increase the PSI its putting out when the truck is at higher RPM's). I am going to go to a junk yard and pick up a old window washer fluid container to hold the water. Then try to find some type of "motor" that is ran off of vacuum (any ideas on what I could use, or where to find one?) Then tap a hole in the top of my air filter on the cold air intake, for the spray nozzle to go into. What type of PSI should I be looking for as well?

The only things I really need to figure out is what type of motor and what type of nozzle and psi I should run. The windshield washer motor was a good idea, but I have a feeling that one of those would burn out QUICKLY if it was constantly running. I also just want a LIGHT mist to be constantly injected, maybe some type of rigged up pressure washer tip would work?

EDIT: I think nozzle would be acceptable, problem is finding a water pump ran by a vacuum hose and how much PSI! http://www.amazon.com/Aero-Mist-5250...ata/B0026SVZI0

Also, is this pump (12v) could potentially work. Though I'm not real sure exactly HOW it works! I believe it's plug and play as far as power, and one nipple retrieves water while the other delivers it. It may be PERFECT. As long as its the correct pressure. (which I don't know how much I need) http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CEMQ8wIwAw

Last edited by shotnva777; 09-23-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Pre-rain/Rain = Truck runs amazing!