2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

priming Carb to start/lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 03:13 PM
tiso_us is an unknown quantity at this point
Default priming Carb to start/lack of power

Hi everyone...new here.

I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer v6 that is really bugging me. My brother got in it to go too work and it started fine, when started to come home, it would not start and had to have someone at work to jump start it. when he was coming home, he said he would push his gas pedal half-way and it would start back firing and trying to kill the engine. We replaced the Distributor and wires and plugs and still have to Prime the Carb. We jumped the blazer and it warmed up and then died, it's got 200,000 miles on it. OBD shows no error codes and no check engine light. Timing is 18-21 degrees.

No tests has been done on the fuel line or the spark yet. fuel pump kicks in.

NOTE: My wife filled tank with premium gas the day before thinking it was the gas. I don't know if its normal but I noticed a class 1 water residual coming out of the exhaust pipe, I had 4 gallons of gas in the garage that I put in it and the residual went away. I was thinking with this amount of water if it was possible that water collected in the fuel filter and froze up. outside Temp. 2 degrees to -10.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:07 PM
HowlingX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: priming Carb to start/lack of power

I had something similar happen about a year ago. It ended up being a wire to the ignition coil was breaking. The only way I found that was wiggling the wire harness plugged into it while the engine was running.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:42 PM

I thought that maybe a coil breakdown when warmed up. I was going to attempt a MAF cleaning as suggested in someone's post that I read early. Hope that takes care of the backfiring through the Carb.

But I will surly will check the coil out, Thanks.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:04 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, test the coil.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What is meant by "Prime the Carb"... Are you putting extra fuel down the throttle body to get it to start?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:21 PM

Yes....But I did put the intake cover back on because I know it will not start without it.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:54 PM

OK...did some checking on the fuel filter and it was clogged. I didn't have enough time to check out the coil after checking timing and spark so i'll be checking that out first thing in the morning, but I did noticed the spark was yellow on 2 of the plugs which by the way are new.

After replacing the fuel filter I noticed a dramatic increase in fuel pressure.

Does the Blazer have 2 filters?. I replaced one at midway of the vehicle, but it does not appear the gas is getting to the carburetor.

So, a Question: If the engine has a weak spark(yellow) and will not fire, would this prevent the fuel from getting to the plugs?.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Only one filter. How are you checking your pressure?

Spark has no bearing on fuel supply to the engine.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a note....you don't have a carburetor, that's why Kyle asked what you meant about priming the carb.

When you say you replaced the distributor, do you mean you replaced the distributor cap and rotor or that you replaced the entire distributor?

Old 01-18-2009, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Only one filter. How are you checking your pressure?

Spark has no bearing on fuel supply to the engine.
One filter, got it, Thanks. I've not checked the pressure with a gauge , Yet. I was simply giving you an Observation from my side.

Quick Reply: priming Carb to start/lack of power