2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Pulling the steering wheel - what am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pulling the steering wheel - what am I missing?

I'm working on a 97 Blazer to replace a faulty ignition switch. From everything I can tell, the steering column has to be removed from the car to get at it.

I've gotten much of the process done, but I'm stopped at the steering wheel, which I evidently need to remove in order to get the top half of the column shround off. The darn thing won't come off.

I have the air bag off the wheel, and I'm using a standard steering wheel puller to remove the wheel....and yes, I HAVE removed the nut on the column shaft. There doesn't appear to be anything else holding it on, and past experience with steering wheels tells me that the nut should be all I need to get out of the way.

The problem is that I've put an incredible load on that puller and the steering wheel hasn't popped loose yet. I used a 12" Crescent wrench to tighten the puller as tight as I could get it, then changed to an 18" Crestent wrench and gave it some more twist - but no joy. I'm afraid that if I put any more tension on the puller, the bolts holding it to the steering wheel will break off. I've just hit the end of the splines with Kroil, hoping that will penetrate enough to let it come loose if I let is sit for a few hours.

Am I missing anything? Is there some additional part I need to be aware of? Or do I just need to screw those puller mounting bolts in as far they'll go, grab that 18" Crescent wrench and go for the gusto?

Old 04-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Starting Member
Default RE: Pulling the steering wheel - what am I missing?

Once again, I answer my own question.

What I was missing was a good quality steering wheel puller. I literally reamed out the threads in the first one I used - a cheapie. The threads stripped off the main bolt and out of the body while tightening it. Cheap, cheap.

A trip to AutoZone for a better puller that cost $14 and works on steering wheels and harmonic balancers did the trick. POP! It came off after a few very vigorous turns. Maybe the Kroil helped, too. It's the best penetrating oil I've found and it had about four hours to work.

BUT - I WOULD STILL APPRECIATE any comments on whether that whole column needs to come out to replace the ignition switch. I won't be able to mess with it until Monday evening.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:18 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, sorry to be late. Too busy on my 95 jimmy. You got'er done.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:34 AM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey pilgrim...

Who told you you have to pull the Steering Wheel off to do an ignition switch on a 1997. ( You Don't ).......

This link might help you?????

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=287636

Old 04-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Starting Member

Thanks! I did multiple searches of this forum using keywords like "ignition switch" looking for just that kind of info - and didn't get a single hit. I don't know why nothing turned up. Maybe there's something about the search engine that I haven't figured out.

At any rate, that's EXACTLY what I hoped someone might show me!

THANK YOU!!

Old 04-03-2006, 03:57 PM
MDTjettaguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did mine (ignition switch) this weekend. I didn't pull my s. wheel. I found on automotiveforums some directions on doing it w/o removing the steering wheel. I cut the plastic under the tumbler and you can't even tell once its back together unless you really look. I did see one guy pulled the plastic/rubber housing on the tumbler and didn't have to cut his plastic. I couldn't figure it out until I got it off after cutting the plastic. There is a metal ring around the back of the plastic piece to turn the key. If you slide that back toward the steering column you can pop off the plastic part to the tumbler assembly. Thus allowing the plastic top be removed w/o cutting. It pops right back on when you are done and you slide the metal ring back over it and it won't accidentally fall off.

G/L w/ this. I just did mine this weekend and drove it to work today.