2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A question about re-installing a transmission

Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Beginning Member
Woober is on a distinguished road
Default A question about re-installing a transmission

Hello-

Was wondering if I could get some help- I have just swapped out the engine on my 97 S10 Blazer, and am in the process of putting everything back together. I just got the tranny bolted back to the engine, and am now trying to figure out what happened to a couple of things. Mainly, I know the upper bell housing bolts had things attached to them- I believe the right side, (as looking at the back of the engine) had the transmission dipstick bracket, but what about the left side upper bolt. The other thing is this crazy looking bracket that is attached to part of the wiring harnesses- for lack of a better word, it is shaped somewhat like a banana, wit a hole on either side, which I believe the bolts go through. This too is at the back of the engine, but I can not for the life of me figure out where it goes. Lastly, are the two grounds that go on the back of the valve covers- can anybody tell me where to trace them back to, so I can get them remounted? Thanks for anybody who can help.

Scott

Old 07-31-2009, 11:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the dipstick tube bolts on using the passenger side upper bellhousing bolt and the wiring harness mount bolts on using the driver side upper bellhousing bolt.

As far as the grounds go, they bolt onto the back of the head using one of the accessory drive holes.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you for the response- here is a picture of the bracket. It makes sense that the upper bell housing bolt would go through the hole on the end with one hole only- the wire harness connector went through the opposite end with the small hole, yet I can not figure out what the remaining hole is used for. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Scott

Old 08-02-2009, 05:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is the way I would say it goes as well. Not sure what would go through the other hole unless that bolts on the back of the cylinder head somewhere...

BTW, we all answer when we have time. Additional prodding through PM is not necessary.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry if I was prodding- thought I was respectfully asking a question, as I know personally, after responding to a thread, I usually do not revisit it. Thanks for your help.

Scott

Old 08-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Administrator

I try to make a point to read through all replies to all threads. I know there will be more questions so I always try to make it back to threads I respond to.

No worries. If you were the only person to do it, I would not mention it, but I can sometimes wake up to 30+ PMs telling me to look at this thread or that thread.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Beginning Member

I understand your point, and thank you for your replies.

Scott