2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Quick starter replacement question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 04:22 AM
porkfriedrice is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mojarraman
Quick Q:
it was oily down there, and shop last year looked quick and (incidentally) quipped: "LIKELY oil-line(s) to radiator leak". And is likely one, or both, or (any liklihood) which of two?
So, CAN those ever be fixed by just tightening (aprox. 150k miles)? Any odds, Lol? Could post "elsewhere," but thought I'd give quick inquiry here to start. Thanks kindly.
The oil cooler lines leak where the rubber hose is crimped to the metal pipe. Can't be tightened. Common Blazer problem, and it seems no matter what brand replacement you buy they will eventually start leaking. If you search the forums there are threads by people who have come up with their own permanent fixes to the problem.

Might want to check ASAP if the leak is coming from the oil lines, the hose will eventually pop off the fitting which will leave you on the side of the road. Happened to me on my first Blazer, didn't know about all the Blazer quirks back then.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:10 PM
Starting Member
mjohnson52575 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 blazer 4x4 starter removal

Remove the nuts from the rubber tranny mount. Jack the tail of the tranny up as far as it will go (carefully). I recommend jacking it up facing the jack towards the front or rear not side to side.This will keep you from binding the exaughst or other parts that could be broken because being put at a bind.This makes the opening just wide enough to get the oem starter out. Remanufactured starters have a smaller body than the oem. You will not have to do much to get them in or out, there is more than enough room for removal and install.

Old 02-06-2022, 06:45 PM
Starting Member
Tajlyon is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by redcrbbr
Well first off, thanks for all the help from this forum. It saved me alot of uneeded work. the starter was out in about 5 minutes after flipping it around and back in about the same.
The idea that I had to jack the engine came from the autozone online repairs manual. thank you again.
I had same problem when replacing starter in my 2001 blazer. But I also had a broken motor mount that I was unaware of at the time, so I did have to jack engine up just a bit to get starter out after rotating it. It helps to have small hands as well. And I was able to fix motor mount afterwards.

Old 02-14-2022, 07:47 PM
Starting Member
Graveyard is on a distinguished road

Hello, I just replaced mine on my 96' S10 Blazer. Took off the front passenger tire to get to the wires...still a very tight fit. I couldn't get my hand in enough to even screw the nuts off with my fingers but I could see the nuts and get an open end wrench on them.
Next problem... Once I got the starter unbolted, it would not come out until I actually rotated the started 180 degrees from the original mounting direction. This is very tedious also. Once it's rotated, then I had to roll the starter until I found a "sweet spot" that would let the starter slip out. You have to do the same thing to get the new one in. It's tough but I didn't remove the O2 sensor, didn't jack up the tranny...nothing. It's something I hope I never have to do again but now I know the trick. Took me about an hour and a half.
Good luck