2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rattle / clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:03 AM
mikol23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rattle / clunking noise

Iv replaced my ball joints in july, and a few days ago replaced the bushings on my torsion bar. and theres still an annoying rattle / clunking noise when going over bumps. the noise seems to be on the right hand side on the passenger said. any ideas what it may be?
thank you

Old 12-06-2006, 01:10 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Rattle / clunking noise

What year is it, 4.3L?..2WD?..4X4?

Old 12-06-2006, 01:15 AM

its on 2002, 2door, 4.3 vortec, 4x4

Old 12-06-2006, 01:25 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I would try using a rubber mallet to hit the exhaust pipe in several different spots to see if you can find a rattle that way.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:31 AM

Alright thanks I'll give that a try.. Im just curious how that might help find the rattle in the front of the vechile wheel area on the passenger side?
thanks

Old 12-06-2006, 01:41 AM
BF Veteran

ORIGINAL: mikol23

Iv replaced my ball joints in july, and a few days ago replaced the bushings on my torsion bar. and theres still an annoying rattle / clunking noise when going over bumps. the noise seems to be on the right hand side on the passenger said. any ideas what it may be?
thank you
I was going by the info in your original post, so I'm just trying to help with the information that you give us.
The reason I said to check the exhaust is that there was a problem with some of these 4.3's exhaust flange gaskets that would be loose and cause a rattle.
Was this rattle there before you replaced the ball joints and torsion bar bushings?
Did you replace upper and lower ball joints?
Are the brake calipers tight?
Shock mounts tight?
just writing down what I think could cause a rattle.

Link pin bushings on the front sway bar?

Old 12-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check your hood hinges. This is a common noise and does sound exactly like a loose shock or bad ball joint, only higher up. It's very difficult to tell the difference.

Toss a rag under the corners of the hood near the hinges. Careful not to wad it up too much and bend the hinge, just enough to put some tension on the hinge bolt. If this stops it, then you'll need to go to the dealership and get two (2) of PN 12383460. Remove the hinge bolts, put the washer onto the bolt and reassemble.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

surprisingly one of the only things on my truck tat doesn't ratttle is my hood pins.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:27 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

well, are your torsion bar mounts bad? that causes a loud clunking and rattling when you go over bumps and stuff.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:10 PM

I just had the torsion bar mounts replaced 3 days ago. and ball joints done in july....
I'll try putting a rage under the hinge to see if thats the problem.
thanks for you help.

Quick Reply: Rattle / clunking noise