2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Re-key entire vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 10:47 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Re-key entire vehicle

Hey everyone. Is it possible to re-key the entire vehicle? I mean replace all of the locks (ignition, both front doors, rear hatch) so they can use a different key from what came with the car? Are there aftermarket companies who make lock/key sets for these vehicles so I don't have to go through the dealership? Thanks

Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You can get all of this from rock auto, or even your local parts store.
I am not sure if second gens use a different key for the doors and ignition. either way, you can purchase the locks from a local auto parts store, bring them to a local lock smith and make sure all the locks use the same key, it will be a lot less than the dealership.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:35 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Ditto... hit up google etc & as rich said rock auto, jc whitney etc... look around & see who has what to offer. But stay away from a dealership IMO.

Why do you want or feel the need to re-key BTW? Ex has a set of keys or a key (my 2nd gen only has 1 for ignition & doors)? lol

Old 10-03-2012, 01:07 AM

I only have one type of key for the doors and ignition. Same key opens the doors and starts the engine.

So I could buy the lock cylinders from RockAuto and have a locksmith key all four of them the same? I wasn't planning on going to the dealer anyway, especially when I heard of the red tape process for them to do it. Plus I don't want the new keys tied to the VIN number.

I think I understand the process for doing the ignition key if I follow the ignition switch replacement instructions up to the point of pulling the lock cylinder and swapping it with a new one instead of pulling the switch, but what about the doors and trunk? Especially the key switch in the rear door that unlocks all of the doors (Not that I use it. If disabling it is easier than replacing the cylinder (without disabling the rear glass), I would do that.).

Sorry, but I can't go into much detail about why I want to re-key, but all I can say is that it is for security reasons.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

Can't you just go straight to a locksmith and have them re-key it without buying any new locks?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by grizzstang
Can't you just go straight to a locksmith and have them re-key it without buying any new locks?
I could, but how do I get the old ones out to do that? No locksmith is going to tear my truck apart to get the lock cylinders out. Plus I would have to weigh the cost of having the current ones rekeyed and buying new aftermarket cylinders.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

To my knowledge the locksmith can pull the tumblers out without removing the locks from the car. There really isn't much to removing the door panels and pulling the locks out anyway. I removed my door locks completely because thieving A holes kept punching them in to gain easy entry to the Blazer. It happened twice then I took them out and had an alarm installed. I would call them first and ask before spending money you don't have to.

Last edited by grizzstang; 10-03-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:33 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Ebay is the cheapest ive seen for buying all new locks. I always change out the locks on anything i get used.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by neo71665
Ebay is the cheapest ive seen for buying all new locks. I always change out the locks on anything i get used.
So would it be safe to buy a kit like this? Chevy SUV - Ignition & Door Lock Cylinder SET w 2 Keys -Right, Left & Rear - NEW | eBay

They don't just sell kits like that with the same key in every kit, right? I need a good set for security. Now my current keys have rounded edges on both sides. Maybe worn out?

Old 10-04-2012, 02:58 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I wish, I could have a single set of keys for my nova, 69 gmc, 87 blazer, 91 noma, and 88 mud truck. That would make my key ring hella smaller.

Quick Reply: Re-key entire vehicle