2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear axle repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 12:59 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough
Default Rear axle repair

2002 RWD 4 dr, limited slip. Right rear axle bearing and seal are shot. I expect the axle to be trashed at the bearing surface as well. What has worked for you guys? A "repair" bearing is the easiest but I read a lot of horror stories. Best I can tell its:

1) Repair bearing

2) build up axle and machine bearing surface to specs

3) Junk yard axle

4) New axle from say Rock Auto

What do you guys suggest that have been through this?

Thanks,

George

Old 03-09-2018, 07:04 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

I have my '02 4dr 4wd rear axles out as I am replacing the wheel bearings; left side was very noisy. I stopped by the local Pic-A-Part last weekend and was told that a complete rear axle was $150...that is everything, maybe even springs.
I think this would be the cheapest and quickest route to go as there are LOTS of Blazers out there.

I am hoping to find a G80 differential to replace the OEM open carrier. Trouble is the only way I could get a complete rear axle home is to use my Blazer; so I will have to put it back together first.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:58 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Had the same problem.

Changed the seal/bearing with original style, lasted a few months, started leaking again.

Went to the "repair bearing," again lasted a few months, and was leaking.

Finally ordered a new shaft from rock auto, and so far so good. Only been a couple months, though.

I planned on going the pick-n-pull route, but they didn't have a drum brake 4wd in the yard. 2wd is narrower, and I read somewhere that the disc brake ones are different as well.

Here's what mine looked like:

Attached Thumbnails Rear axle repair-20171209_101549.jpg  

Last edited by cleburne red; 03-09-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:30 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Such parts are normally induction hardened at the bearing surface.

Just dealing with such a problem on a steering king-pin of a 64 car. Pitting on the needle roller surface.
Nearly impossible to fix. Machining is possible only if the surface hardness is retained. This means grinding to smaller diam. On an axle that means a weak spot in the worst possible spot. IMHO - no-go.

New axles. Make sure the spline number is correct for your order, there could be different number of teeth depending on the application.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:22 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

If bearing did not spin in the housing, the correct repair would be a new standard bearing and either a new or used axle.

If bearing locked up and spun in the housing, the housing is junk.

2WD axles are shorter than 4WD axles, so don't try to use a 4WD axle from the junkyard in your 2WD and disk brake vs drum brake is another concern (as Cleburne red already said). Then there is 7.5" vs 8.5" ring gear.

I would do something like LKQ Pick a Part (pull it yourself junkyard) - axle will be dirt cheap. Make sure your rear is not an 8.5" (actually 8.65"). Take yours along to match up. The only 2WD 8.5's were behind 4.3v6 with 5 speed (primarily in Extremes) - so if you don't have one of these, then another 2WD Blazer if you happen across it) is your best bet. If you do have an 8.5, just go ahead and order a new axle - it is doubtful you will ever find a used one locally that you can pull yourself.

I personally have an 8.65 from a 2002 Extreme with an Eaton Posi installed in my 1989 S10 racer. It had a bent axle when I got it. I had to pay a pretty penny for a used axle that was found out-of-state.

There are plenty of internet instructions on how to ID 7.5 vs 8.5 Blazer/S10 rear ends. Primarily the axle tubes step down in size as they go out to the wheels on the 8.5.

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-12-2018 at 10:00 AM. Reason: deleted references to photos as they were not OP's
Old 03-12-2018, 09:37 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
If bearing did not spin in the housing, the correct repair would be a new standard bearing and either a new or used axle. Nothing is going to repair the bad axle in the photo or allow you to use it as-is.

If bearing locked up and spun in the housing, the housing is junk - but doesn't seem like it did by looks of the axle. Just horribly worn.
Are you replying to me? I think I'm the only one who posted a photo, but I'm not OP. I was just showing the wear on my axle compared to the new I replaced it with.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:52 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Are you replying to me? I think I'm the only one who posted a photo, but I'm not OP. I was just showing the wear on my axle compared to the new I replaced it with.
I saw the photo and assumed it was the OP's. Sorry. I went back and corrected my post. Actually I ended up saying a lot but added very little useful content!!

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-12-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:40 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Had the same problem.

Changed the seal/bearing with original style, lasted a few months, started leaking again.

Went to the "repair bearing," again lasted a few months, and was leaking.

Finally ordered a new shaft from rock auto, and so far so good. Only been a couple months, though.

I planned on going the pick-n-pull route, but they didn't have a drum brake 4wd in the yard. 2wd is narrower, and I read somewhere that the disc brake ones are different as well.

Here's what mine looked like:
When my axle came out it looked the same as yours. Since there are so many axles across so many combinations with inconsistent cross reference material, I waited until I pulled it and ordered a new one based on the specifications of the axle. rock Auto was down all weekend so I found one on eBay and it arrived new from the US factory. Chose a US made Delco/Koyo bearing and will install everything this weekend.

After I saw that the axle had lost 0.070" at the bearing surface I decided against a repair bearing since the existing axle looked like a "score and break here" scenario. Besides, I read about a lot of failed repair bearings. A junkyard axle was going to have to come from a perfect RPO code match to be sure that I didn't waste a 150 mile round trip so I nixed that as well.

Thanks,

George

Old 03-16-2018, 08:42 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
I saw the photo and assumed it was the OP's. Sorry. I went back and corrected my post. Actually I ended up saying a lot but added very little useful content!!
Didn't bother posting a picture since mine was essentially the same.

George

Old 03-21-2018, 09:34 AM
BF Veteran

I pulled the other axle to replace that bearing and seal as well and found some wear on that bearing surface. There is about a 0.002" reduction is diameter with some pitting at the bearing surface and two small ridges at the seal surfaces. Truck has 205,000 miles. What would you guys do on this side? I have not looked at enough old axles to know if a new bearing and seal will work here.

thanks,

George
​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Rear axle repair